The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relating one service call to another using service desk 4.5 with sp 17

Highlighted
Anju
Regular Collector

Relating one service call to another using service desk 4.5 with sp 17

Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried few options but there is a system defined service call dropdown field in the default service call form which is greyed out. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Anju
8 REPLIES
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Re: Relating one service call to another using service desk 4.5 with sp 17

Hi Anju,

My understanding is that you can't do this in SP17. It is possible in SD5.0 and it might be possible in SP18 but you should be aware that upgrading to SP18 would then prevent you from upgrading to SD5.1 which is out in a month or two. Upgrading from SP17 to 5.1 will be supported, but upgrading from SP18 won't be possible until much later.

Cheers
Pinion

Hi Anju,

In this version you can not relate the service call with service call or with in the same item, but you can relate service call to incident, or across item.

I know some what in ovsd5 can do this.

Hpe this help.
br,
Krieng
-/\-
Naveen Jaiswal
Occasional Visitor

Hi Anju,

I have SP 16 installed and it gives me option to relate only incident, change and Problem. So if you don't see the option then it may not be there. By the way there is SP 19 now. Unless you want to upgrade to SD 5 in near future you may try to upgrade and give it a shot.

Best Regards,
Naveen
A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purose of it. By MK Gandhi
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Anju,

With SP 18 you can set up the relationship of any object to any other object, although the mechanism to do this is completely separate from the machanism for relating service events to each other (SCs to incidents, for example).

In addition, you can relate Service Calls to sub-contract service calls (again using a System Action rather than using the mechanism for relating other service events).

Finally, OVSD supports Best practice, according to which you probably should be relating multiple Service Calls to a problem, rather than to each other.

-Josh
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Anju,

As of SP17 there is a way to relate directly service call with service calls, the "generic relations".

The only other way supported in service desk is "call to subcontract call" but you cannot set an existing service call as subcontract call of another service call without putting a hand on the DB itself.
menes fhtagn
Anju
Regular Collector

Thank you for the information George but you need provide more information as to how to use the generic relation type. I have played with it little bit- created a relation type as well but how to get this generic relation type to the master service call form. The master service call form has a general form "service event relation" which has the attribute relation type which is basically service event relation type i want to change this to generic relation type. Can you help me?
Simon Ellingsga
Super Collector

Hi Anju

This might be of some help.
Relating a Service Call directly to a Service Call is not possible in Service Desk 4.5 sp. 18 either. The way Service Desk 4.5 intends relation between Service Calls (or Incidents) is to use â ITIL best practiceâ , where you are supposed to create a Problem, and then relate the Service Calls which are creating the Problem to the â problem recordâ , rather that linking them together.
The easiest way to create a Problem Record for a Service Call is to use an Action:

1) From an open Service Call click the menu â Actionâ

2) Then choose â Create Problem â Copy values from current itemâ

3) This opens a Problem record. Under the Tab â Relationâ , make the relation to the Service Calls, which relates to this problem. The easiest ways to search for them is by using their ID, and remember to choose the relation type too.

4) Finish by filling out the missing information, which didnâ t get transferred from the original Service Call (copy fields can be configured from the Administrator Console).

This is the way SD 4.5 is meant to work, but as you already have read they changed the design in SD 5.X

All the best
Simon Ellingsgaard
Anju
Regular Collector

Thank you Simon. Appreciate your feedback.
Anju
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event