Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Relating CIs to Users while Importing OVSD 5.0

Highlighted
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

Relating CIs to Users while Importing OVSD 5.0

Hello all,

Importing Workstations. I would like to link workstations to their users while importing. Not manually. How do I use “Used by Person, Person” or “Used by Person, Configuration Item”.
9 REPLIES
Alok Shrotri
Honored Contributor.

Re: Relating CIs to Users while Importing OVSD 5.0

Hi Adeel,
I haven't worked on SD5.0 extensively but I will try helping you.
From your source of data, export the unique identifier of person along with the CI data.
In Import mapping, use the exported attribute in XML to map to 'Used by Persons;Person'.

Say Person's Identification number is the unique key. Put 'Person.Identification Number' in Reference to and attribute in xml in External Attribute.

Cheers,
Alok
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

Hello Alok,

Thank you for your response.
That's exactly what I am doing, but the CI gets imported with no relations. When I check the users tab in CI, I don't find the related person.
Any Idea?
Alok Shrotri
Honored Contributor.

Hi
And have you mapped the Attribute in XML file to Used by Person in Import mapping?

If you have done this, I am not sure why it is not getting imported.

Cheers,
Alok
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

Attached is a screen shot of the mapping.
can you check it out and let me know if this is the right way.
UVA-OVSD
Respected Contributor.

Never forget to PARTY !(BeastyBoys) Party is a collection of ALL items, also CI's, Persons and go on, also SD5 likes to Party.

Relating CI's to PERSON...

The CI
Internal attribute CI_Internal_Code
External attribute CI_External_Code
Primary key

The person (Who is using the CI)
Internal attribute Is Used by Person
External attribute Person_External_Code
Reference To Party.Searchcode

That would do the trick, Use party...
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

Hello all,

here is exactly what I did.
1- created a person with a search code and name.
2- I'm importing the CI from excel sheet. the columns I have are search code and name and the person's search code.
3-In the CI-import mapping, I mapped name to name, search code to search code (primary key), used by person (reference to party.searchcode) and the external is person (searchcode).
4-I do the import and all the info is exchanged to XML file. I can see the CI's nameand search code, and the person's search code.
I'm attaching now the XML file.
Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.

When you feel like bashing the keyboard into the monitor and it is not working HP support finally kicks in and very cooly will tell you to map the Searchcode to CI Parent or CI Person depending on whether you want to have a CI-CI relation or CI-Person Relation...I know why the hell have a field called CI Parent if you cant use it :(

But I feel your frustration I went through two weeks of pulling hair and cursing till I finally got that...
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

What do you mean by mapping search code to CI Parent. I've tried to map the search code to all of the attributes CI offers. Could you please elaborate. and if possible to explain your steps that you have used while mapping. I have a feeling that one of my primary key settings is not right.
Naveen Jaiswal
Outstanding Contributor.

There is a different template called Person - CI that should be used for this. Go to template and search using the keyword person, it will give on template which is called Person - CI. Then create a new mapping using this template.

Hope this Helps,
Naveen Jaiswal.
A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purose of it. By MK Gandhi