Relating CIs to Organizatoins

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Relating CIs to Organizatoins

Hi All,

I would like to relate CIs (hardware in particular) the the various physical locations in which they exist. My current solutoin is to export / import the Organization information into the CMDB via XML & DataExchange to a Logical Entity Category. In essence, I've duplicated the organizations and made my duplicate a CI.

However, it looks as if on the Organization form, the thrid tab is "CI" and is set up as if to allow to relate CIs to the Organization. This would be my fix to avoid duplicate effort. However, this ability to relate CIs this way is "greyed out" and doesn't allow me to do what looks to available somehow? Anyone know how to make this work?

Also from the CI (Ie: server) in the CMDB, I can only relate to another CI, it doesn't allow me relationships to other items like Organizations.

Help! Thanks!
Do it right the first time
4 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Relating CIs to Organizatoins

HI
Organizaton relate to CIs trought CIords filed, by this field can view CIs in Org, what CIs used by Org as grey. SO when you will do import( by relation CI to Org) you need have in Org one unique filed what will describe this organization in import map, CI already exist unique field - Searchcode, then you never create a dublicate relation.

Vassili
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Hi Vasili, you wrote...
HI
Organizaton relate to CIs trought CIords filed, by this field can view CIs in Org, what CIs used by Org as grey. SO when you will do import( by relation CI to Org) you need have in Org one unique filed what will describe this organization in import map, CI already exist unique field - Searchcode, then you never create a dublicate relation.

Vassili
-----------------

Thank you for your response,
My questions are these..
1) What is the CIords field you mention -- is that the one field which is an "organization" type? I assume that is what you mean.

If that is the case, I am using that field and label it "Physical Location". When adding or loading CIs, I provide the SearchCode for that field already. The searchcode resolves to the Organization name. Ok, that's fine, but the CI did not relate itself to the acutal organization.
(Ie: when I look at the organization in that module, the CI is not related on the CI tab.) Maybe I am missing something or way off in the ditch?

Thoughts? I realize this is hard to explain, if you have questions for me, please ask.
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi
Look attachment, CIOrgs in my pictures 1 as Organizations. Pic 2 map for import, you must use standalone map for create ralation between Ci and Org. Relation possible create if you will use unique fields,if importer find more then one recodrs with same org or ci , so this relation will be skipped(not created).

Vassili
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Thanks a bunch, running the process now in a dev environment with over 17,000 relationships.