Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Regenerating views

Highlighted
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Regenerating views

Can the "Regenerate views" function in OVSD 5.1 be run while the system is live?
6 REPLIES
AndrewB
Super Contributor.

Re: Regenerating views

I have done it and it has not crashed my systems (insert standard disclaimer here). But, you guessed it, there will be a performance hit so do it outside of your peak operating hours.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

BLEH! Looks like another late night for a DBA and I. And I just hope it pays off. I'm counting on this to add some very old custom fields to our Configuration Item view. If that don't work I'm liable to just toss the whole damn OVSD 5.1 app and rebuild what we need in freaking Access or something.
luchp.com
Frequent Contributor.

Hi,

it is possible to regenerate views for reporting while in production/online. Indeed it will take some performance, but not a lot. The only thing one cannot use during the regeneration are the views in de database (do not confuse these with the views one uses in hpsd).
I have done this many times during production, but not in peak hours. Do you run 24x7? What about 5 or 6pm?
Is there any reason for you to use this option?

Rgds,
Luc
inspraak zonder inzicht, geeft uitspraak zonder uitzicht
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Luc,

Since I'm critically low on time for solving this problem, I just went ahead and risked it. Regenerating views appears to take less than a minute, so any performance hiccups were too temporary to notice.

As my other thread indicates though, regenerating the view did not successfully add the code field I have on my Config Item module. So now I'm back to square one. I'm fairly sure my job is on the line on this one, and the tool (as always) is failing to deliver.

Thanks for letting me know though.
Skip Williamson1
Contributor.

Westbury's Service Desk Intelligence tool would be perfect for you. It has been around since the beginning days of Service Desk and it allows access to all OVSD items including History lines PLUS it has duration objects that aren't available otherwise, like average duration and average accountable duration. Custom fields are available immediately upon activation. It not only saves time, but you don't need to tie up a DBA to find the data.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Skip,

We actually have an excellent reporting solution. What we need is a better tool. Your offer is much appreciated though.