Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

RFC for multiple CI’s in 5.1

Highlighted
AndrewB
Super Contributor.

RFC for multiple CI’s in 5.1

Hi folks,

This is my first posting to the forum so - Hi everyone! As the administrator of a newly implemented 5.1 sp1 installation, you are really scaring me! :)

So on to my question which I will start as a scenario –
One PC is being replaced by another, but the monitor is staying. The PC has two pieces of non-standard s/w installed which needs to be uninstalled on the old system and reinstalled on the new system. These items are all CI’s.

If there were an RFC for each distinct change that would require a minimum of 5 RFC’s. The field techs hate me :) How are you managing change across multiple CI’s? I would really like to see one RFC for this, but related to all of the CI’s but I cannot find how this would be done. Any suggestions?

I have also read some postings on the AutoWO feature and I can imagine how this would be useful but have been unable to locate the autowa.pdf file that is referred to.

Any help greatly appreciated!!
4 REPLIES
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: RFC for multiple CI’s in 5.1

We would normally have an 'Impacted CIs' Workorder added to the RFC. The RFC may list the primary CI but all the affected CI can be listed on the included Workorder.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you can have 1 change and either multipke workorders for all the different actions that need to take place of one workorder drtailing all the actions and affected CI's.

One wy to decide how many workorders is based on workgroups. If diffeent workgroups are required to do different things for the change give each workgroup a seperate workorder and related the affected CI's to that workorder.

That way you have one overall change request but seperate and related workorders capturing the work required.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey FullOf5.1,

The others have described how we're doing it. One change control with multiple work orders. I'll check with our config manager but I believe our rule is 1 work order per CI modified.

Our implementation is only 3 months old. We should compare notes some time and see if you guys are having as much "fun" as us. What say you?
AndrewB
Super Contributor.

Hi folks,

thanks for the responses. It is as I hade feared. The issue I have with the w/o route is that when you look at a CI under the relations tab you must look for changes in both w/o and change. I could see the w/o grid getting very busy. It would be nicer to be able to relate an RFC to multiple CI's.

So, where can I find the info on the AutoWO creation feature? I have seached for the pdf refered to in other postings but with no luck.

Thanks