Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Problem with assignment to person, SD 4.5, SP20

Highlighted
mmv
Respected Contributor.

Problem with assignment to person, SD 4.5, SP20

Hello all!

We have a problem with assignment an object to person when "to workgroup" field is empty. After one choses the person by quick find (it shows only persons related to workgroups), instead of filling this field with appropriate workgroup, ServiceDesk returns error message "this person does not belong to workgroup" and empties the field "to person". When one choses the workgroup and after that choses the person, everything works fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks for advice!
5 REPLIES
jconsola20
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Problem with assignment to person, SD 4.5, SP20

You can't assign a ticket to a person that doesn't belong to a workgroup. A person in Service Desk without a workgroup is basically worthless.
jconsola20
Outstanding Contributor.

Ok. Let me re-phrase that. A person in service desk would only not be assigned to a workgroup if they are only going to be used as the caller for ticket creation.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

mmv - are you saying that the Assignment,To Person IS in a workgroup? Is the Workgroup active and not blocked?
If both are true then you should be able to enter the person and
- if the person in only in one workgroup it should populate the workgroup autmoatically
- if the person is in multiple workgroups it should give you a list of those workgroups to choose from.
Maybe an SP20 bug? I've just upgraded from SP7 to Sp22 and haven't noticed this problem but will check when I'm back at work on Monday.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
sandeep_
Honored Contributor.

Thats right, as far as I know, this is as per design. Basically the "Assignment to Workgroup" precedes the "Assignment to Person".
Also, the process is such that you'd create a Service Call (any object) assign it to a Workgroup and then assign it to a person who is a part of that workgroup.

Cheers,
Sandeep
mmv
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for your replies!

Let me clarify our problem:
person A belongs to workgroup W. Neither person nor workgroup are blocked.

After I choose workgroup W in assignment, I can choose person A in "assignment to person" by clicking "quick find". If I choose person A first, I should get the workgroup W populated, or get the list of workgroups (Ken is right). This worked in earlier SPs and even in SP20 (empty database). But for some unknown reason now I always get the error message. There are no rules related to assignments.

Thanks in advance for any help!