Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ECW

Highlighted
HPK
Super Collector

Problem with ECW

We are planning to make some changes to our Service Desk's user import process and the idea is to get the user data from DB2 database. We're currently creating the XML file using ECW, and the problem is that data from 2 fields should be joined together (firstname & lastname) into one field (full name). I have created the following statement [TABLE1].[LAST_NAME] ||''|| [TABLE1].[FIRST_NAME] on Columns page to join these two fields, and in ecw the data displays correctly when I press Show Column Result. But when I generete the XML file, it doesn't show the data but only the statement as follows:

[TABLE1].[LAST_NAME] ||'|| [TABLE1].[FIRST_NAME]

Any ideas how to get this work? I've also tried to join the fields using methods suggested in this thread: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=414226, but it seems that DB2 doesn's support them.
3 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with ECW

Forget ECW, all it does is help generate the files needed to drive the export and a mapping for the import. You are at the mercy of the DRIVERS for your ODBC link to the database. Your XML suggests that the driver is not recognizing the syntax of vertical bars and ampersand. You'll have to experiment, for EXCEL the driver is quite happy with [field]+[field]
HPK
Super Collector

But the strange thing is that when I use syntax of vertical bars, I get to see the correct list of names in ECW, so the driver seems to recognize the syntax there when I press Show Column Result button. But still in the generated XML I don't get the correct data. I would expect to get some error if the syntax would not be correct, like I get if I use for example syntax [field]+[field] (Error: "SQL Exception was thrown..."). But even when I press Generate XML now, I do not get any errors, it's just this one field that is not shown correctly in the XML file. Do yuo have any other suggestions for syntax I could try to get this work? All help appreciated!
HPK
Super Collector

I tested this more and also CONCAT seems to work at least somehow.

CONCAT ([TABLE].[LAST_NAME], [TABLE].[FIRST_NAME])

With CONCAT I get the data visible with "Show Column Result" button, but again, in the generated XML file the data shows as follows:

CONCAT([TABLE].[LAST_NAME], [TABLE].[FIRST_NAME])

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event