The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing Service Desk Application Server to a new Database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Steven St. Germ
Occasional Contributor

Pointing Service Desk Application Server to a new Database

Where in Service Desk can I find the settings that tell the Application Server how to connect to the database?

Our Enterprise DBAs are having to move the Oracle Service Desk database to an entirely new Server and I need to understand what, if any, settings I will need to change on our SD Application Server that it knows where to go for its data.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Chris Bailey_3
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Pointing Service Desk Application Server to a new Database

Hello,

If you go under the Start menu on your app server and browse to the HP shortcuts, you can find a shortcut labeled "Open the server settings editor". The second tab in there will be called something like "Connection Settings", and it will allow you to change the database host and user/password for the database server.

However, are you copying the Service Desk tables and data across to the new server, or are you planning on installing a fresh copy of Service Desk?

Thanks,
Chris
Steven St. Germ
Occasional Contributor

Question asked:

"However, are you copying the Service Desk tables and data across to the new server, or are you planning on installing a fresh copy of Service Desk?"

Answer:

All data will be copied to the new server. No changes to the database will be made other than being moved to a new physical server.
Chris Bailey_3
Honored Contributor

Alright, well I haven't personally tried it, so maybe someone can provide better experience, but I don't see anything to prevent you from changing the database settings in there once you've moved the data over. Good luck!
Steven St. Germ
Occasional Contributor

Additional question:

The editor application does not seem to work consistantly. Does this tool simply generate the server_settings.xml file?

Short of changing the password, could I also simply edit the XML file directly?

Thanks.
Chris Bailey_3
Honored Contributor

Yes, you could edit that .xml file. The only disadvantage that I can see is that the password is encoded somehow, so I'm not sure you'll be able to specify it directly. Otherwise, just changing the server host should work.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event