Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing the username in the title bar

Highlighted
Rob Atwood
Acclaimed Contributor

Placing the username in the title bar

I know that there is a way to have the currently logged user to appear in the title bar in Service Desk. I cannot remember how to do it and cannot find any instructions anywhere.

example: I am logged in as Joe Smith -> and the title bar shows -> "HP OpenView Service Desk - Joe Smith"
6 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: Placing the username in the title bar

Rob,

I know that you can see who is logged in by place the mouse cursor over the icon in the status bar, on the right side, but I would be delighted to learn how to change the title bar of the window.

-Josh
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor

For OVSD 4.5, add a /profile switch to the client start command:

"/profile=SOME_TEXT"

Here's an example from sd_client.ini:

jview /cp lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;lib\import.jar;lib\export.jar;lib\jndi.zip;lib\ldap.zip;lib\providerutil.zip;lib\ui.jar;lib\sdui.jar;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\resources.zip;lib\jclark.zip;lib\ms_interfaces.jar;lib\libftp.jar com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole "/settings=C:\SD_client\user_settings.xml" "/profile=SOME_TEXT"
Rob Atwood
Acclaimed Contributor

That helped a bit, but that will just put text into the bar, however you have formatted it.

It appears that anything to the right of the /profile= is given as text. Do you have any ideas how to get the user name (the one that you are logged in as)in there?

I tried several things to try and get a variable to load (%USERNAME%, etc), without success. This is still handy though, if you wanted to customize your installation to have a company name placed there.

If anyone knows where this might be documented, that would be great! What I would like to happen, is to get the default user information from the XML file ( so it will be the current Service Desk user) into the title bar.
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
The functionality who is login in , already exist. look attachment.

Vasily
Rob Atwood
Acclaimed Contributor

I am really trying to see if that information can be placed statically onto the top bar, that way when the application window is closed, it shows in the Windows tray icon.
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor

How about using customized desktop icons to start the application for a specific ID and use the user text to match that ID. Not a great solution if you have lots of different IDs on lots of desktops but might be o.k. for a small implementation or for clients pointing to testing environments vs production environments.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event