SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Harini.G
Honored Contributor.

Person DB to be integrated with AD

Hi All,

Working on SD 4.5 with SP4.

Let me tell you that I am a learner and I need your help on the above mentioned.

I need to set up automatic update of Person DB from the AD setup. Can somebody pls help me with the steps? Thanks

Rgds
Harini.G
4 REPLIES
Hasim.Baba
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Re: Person DB to be integrated with AD

HI Harini,

I think I have the pdf for this, but not able to find it now.. Anyway here are the basic steps, I have this working for SD 5 (I guess it should work with SD4.5 as well). You would need to pull the Person information from your AD.. The first step would be to identify the fields in person entity in AD.. For starters you can choose the following fields
[Name],[distinguishedName],[samAccount],[userPrincipalName],[sn],[description],[givenName]

The sameAccount is always unique, so it can be choosen to map to the searchcode. Now you would need to create the extractor file (plain text file), you can call it ldap.ini.. it looks like this :
===========================================
[CONNECTION]
TYPE=LDAP
[LDAP]
SERVER=
PORT=389
PRINCIPAL=
AUTHENTICATION=SIMPLE
CREDENTIALS=

[SYSTEM]
LOG=TRUE
XML=TRUE
LOG_FILE=d:\ldap_test.log
XML_OUTPUT_FILE=d:\person.xml
APPLICATION_NAME=ldap.ini
ENCODING=UTF-8

[CLASSES]
NAME=PERSON

[PERSON]

SOURCE=dc=domainame,dc=com
COLUMNS=[Name],[distinguishedName],[userPrincipalName],[sn],[description],[givenName]
ATT=[Name],[distinguishedName],[userPrincipalName],[sn],[description],[givenName]
SEARCHSCOPE=SUBTREE_SCOPE
=============================================

Now, you can identify the template you would be using for mapping this field, you can use the default person or create a new one (in case you want couple of things prefilled like timezone etc)

Define the import mapping and you should map the fields in the extractor file with person fields, for example you can map givenName to Name and so on .. once done configure data data exchange task to read the extractor file and export the person data from your AD and dump it in the person.xml file... you can than import the data from person.xml using data exchange... IF you do not get expected results than you can try changing the mapping etc and try again.. you can later on try with other stuff like importing their mail etc and mapping it to primary email address etc

Regards,
-HSB

Hasim.Baba
Honored Contributor.

Just wanted to add that you might want to review the contents of the person.xml file before importing it.. Most of the AD are populated with "Computers" as well so you might want to put a filter in the ldap.ini file to exclude them from being queried.. also you can define the OU from where u want to pull the person by defining the source like this :

SOURCE=ou=,dc=,dc=com
Harini.G
Honored Contributor.

Hi Asif,

Thanks a ton for the explanation. I shall work on it and get back in case of any doubts.

Also kindly help me with the pdf file in case you get it :)
Thanks once again.

Rgds
Harini.G
Hasim.Baba
Honored Contributor.

You're welcome... also not sure if SP4 allows you to import through AD, try it

The document is attached .. but its more or less the same steps i have mentioned

Regards,
-HSB