Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Patch Upgrade from SP4 to SP20

Highlighted
Harini.G
Honored Contributor.

Patch Upgrade from SP4 to SP20

Hi All,

We are planning a patch upgrade for our SD4.5 server from SP4 to SP20 and currently upgraded our test server.

After upgrade, I am facing problem when I go the Admin Console. The client just hangs and throws the error "Error when writing to log file, out of memory?"

Request you to kindly help.

Rgds
Harini.G
10 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Patch Upgrade from SP4 to SP20

Hi,

Have you cleared down the log files since upgrading your Service Pack?
also have you tried to reboot the app server?

I have experienced this problem before and doing both the above seemed to resolve the problem.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

do as Jay says. Also is oVSD running on the default java memory allocations or have you ever increased them. The default settings are not enough and will give you this error from time to time.
Harini.G
Honored Contributor.

HI Jay / Mark,

Thanks for your response.

I have cleared the log files and checked the Java settings.
My Server Ram: 1.2GB & Processor: 1.4GHz PIII.

Request you to kindly advise the Java allocation which I can set.

Rgds
Harini.G
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

you will need to navigate to service desk 4.5\server\bin\installservice.bat and look at the Xms and Xmx figures.

Xms tells you how much RAM the JRE claims after starting, and the Xmx tells you the maximum memory it will claim.

we have Xms set to 100mb and Xmx set to 600mb but your settings will depend on the number of users you have.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

The java version requirements are different from SP4 to SP20. Though you could use java 1.3 with SP20 it isn't supported by HP.

And something else (it's not related to your problem but it is also very important), the structure of attachment layout changed in SP16 and you need a script to migrate to the new structure.
menes fhtagn
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Adding to George's above comments about attachments, you will need to do this in 2 stages:-

1) run upgradeattachments.bat
then
2) run mig_attachments.pl

if i remember correctly there is a document that outlines it more clearly, ITSM007474
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

Something that i remembered. Back in the days of SP11, when people wanted to upgrade from a version older of SP7 to SP11, they needed to upgrade to SP7 first or they could face some minor problems (had to do with db/ui rules mostly.

This may or may not be related to your problem, however i though that you should know.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Someone did an upgrade from Pre SP 7 - SP 20 and posted that they had no problems.

It would be worth considering but either way be sure to test everything in a test environment beforehand to be sure.
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Have you resolved your problem with the Java memory?

it would be nice if you assigned some points for the help.
Harini.G
Honored Contributor.

Hi All,

Trying to apply SP15, If successfull, will go ahead to SP20.

Thanks to all of you.

Rgds
Harini.G