Parent - Child CI views question?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Parent - Child CI views question?

Hi,

Using SD4.5, SP17, is there a way to specify which view is used on the CI form, to view Parent CIs and Child CI's.

The current Child CI view exists in Presentation --> Views --> CI Component.

What I want to do is show different views for different folder entitlements.

So a role with folder entitlement A will see one Child CI view nd a role with folder entitlement B will see a diferent Child CI view.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Parent - Child CI views question?

Further to my posting above.....

I've amended the view "Child CI's" that is in Presentation --> Views --> CI Components.

But the view of Child CI's of the CI form hasn't changed at all?

Is this the view that is shown on the CI form?

If not where is the Child CI view that is shown on the CI form?

Thanks.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello Peter,

The "embedded" views cannot be restricted by filters. But they can be restricted by folder/status entitlement, so user of Folder A cannot view items with folder B.

However ONLY one view can be used by role and you cannot create new ones (without doing some hacking). So the answer to your question is no, you cannot have different views for different roles (in the embedded forms).

However there is a solution for you. See http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1141699

There I erroneously wrote that this requires "admin rights". It doesn't!
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Georhe,

This is the second time in as many months that you have solved a long standing problem of mine!

Assigning OIDs to shortcuts means that I can replace the 'standard' HOV icons for things like Configuration Item and I'm allowed to name it whatever I like!

See http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1169910

Second posting, "i.e. How can I use a different icon in the Shortcut bar to activate the Person module, for instance?"

Not so bothered about the icon but the name below it does matter.

I have a customer who is using the Config items module to store stuff but they know them as Contracts. Now I can have an icon which points to the Config Items module but is Called "Contracts", EXCELLENT!

AND, I can also create a shortcut to point to CI Component and show a view to show Contracts and Sub-Contracts, (CI's and Child CI's).

Max Points for you George, wish I could award more than 10.

One thing though, I've created a shortcut which uses the CI Component OID, as you said. But, some of the fields I can choose when creating the view do not display and, when you go back to the Fields they have been removed when I close the Fields window.

Why can some of the fields not be displayed?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Peter,

About your problem, what fields are those?

Generally in Views you can enter any field as long the corresponded attribute has "Selectable" to "True".

I use the shortcut bar "hack" quite extensively, it's very handy to show related entities and I have no such problems!
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

As a for instance, one of the fields I would like on the view is the name of what we call the Assignment Manager. Its the name of the person responsible for the CI.

Anyway, I choose the fields from the list shown under the Person fields. Then add it to the the choosen fields, (as shown in the attachment). When I go back to the list of fields, HPOV has removed it again?
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Also, I may have to take back some of the imaginery points I awarded you in my previous posting....

When I said I could create a shortcut and rename it to whatever I needed, I was wrong...

HPOV lets you create the shortcut and name it.... (see attached).

But, when you sign out and go back in, the shortcut has reverted back to its original name.

I thought I had it there......