cancel

Ovcd in SD

Highlighted
uts1
Contributor.

Ovcd in SD

hi,
am new to ovsd(5.1)
still dont have the admin access on the devleopment server. when trying to access the dev console, getting an error. logged on remotely to the dev server then in the command promt used the command- ovc -status. the output was-
(ctrl-111)Ovcd is not yet started.

can you please explain me what does this mean? i assume this is to with the HP SD control Daemon, but am interested to know the exact meaning of this error and how can i get rid of it and have my server running?
a quick response would be great,please.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Ovcd in SD

uts1,
Welcome to the forums.

The message is self-explainatory. It is not an error, it is only an informational message. After all, you are only receiving that message as an output of your command 'ovc -status'.

From the SD5.10 support guide (p.140):
================================
The ovcd Control Daemon
The Control daemon (ovcd) is installed as a service/daemon (HP OpenView Ctrl Service) and allows the Service Desk server to start automatically at machine startup, provided that the service is set for automatic startup). The Control daemon must be running to use the Control utility.

To start the Control daemon, enter the following command:
ovc -start ovcd

If the Control daemon is not running, the following error message appears:
(ctrl-111) Ovcd is not yet started
================================

To "get rid of it", evidently you need to start ovcd.

Hope this helps.
Do not forget to assign points for the contribution. Here's how:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

The Pike
uts1
Contributor.

Thanks Pike.
did go through the support guide as well.

apparently, i dont have admin access on that server, which is the Dev server.
when trying to open the console was getting error dialog.and hence logged into the server to see the status.

So, it means that the Management Server/application itself isnt running? right? and once i start this,ovc -start, then it should work fine?

have assigned the points as well to your previous help to me :).. i do understand and appreciate the time you spent and the knowledge you share and would be happy to assign points to the helps coming in.

Thanks

The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

That's right. If the control daemon (ovcd) is not running, the rest of the processes that make up the management server cannot be started.

Should it work fine? I suppose... if any of the management server processes were to fail during start-up, then that's material for another thread.

Points are welcome.

The Pike
uts1
Contributor.

Thank you. will try starting the service,once i obtain the admin rights to be able to run the command(as it now says-access denied :) ).

good and thanks that you mentioned as to when a new thread should be started,if required,and not just continue in the same one.

Thanks