Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Outbound email with attachments, encoding

Highlighted
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Outbound email with attachments, encoding

Hi!
We send out email from HP SD (v 4.5 SP17) with attachments. The email can be read either in normal Outlook client or Outlook web access. When there is an attachment, there is no problem to read email and open attached document with normal Outlook client.

But if I read email from Outlook web access, from the list I can see there is an attachment, but when I open the email, nothing there. I open the same email in normal client, change Encoding, Save, then back to Outlook web access, now I can open the attachment since I can see it.

Is there any one who has such experience? any idea why?

Regards,
Lee
4 REPLIES
Alex_389
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Outbound email with attachments, encoding

I've got the same problem.
Have you find solution?

Regards, Alex
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Hi!
This is a problem with Exchange, I guess. Also I did some tests. But I have not got solutions from Exchange admin, :-(
Alex_389
Trusted Contributor.

Please check this link http://msmvp.org/2004/08/managing-exchange-2003-owa-attachment.html

ServiceDesk sends attachments using Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
And OWA has it on Level2MIMETypesType block list.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWeb\OWAValue: Level2MIMETypesType: REG_SZValue Data: text/xml,application/xml,application/hta,text/html, application/octet-stream

I didn't check this yet, but I believe that if you remove it from the list it will work.
If it doesn't conflict with your e-mail security policy. :)

Perhaps it's possible to change Content-Type field in service desk.
If you know how to do it please let me know.

Regards, Alex

Leep
Respected Contributor.

Hi!
Alex, many thanks for the tips.

It can be rather hard to change the setting of Exchange. As you suggested, perhaps good idea to change HP SD. I don't know how... perhaps someone in this forum can give answer?

Regards,
Lee