Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Outbound email issue in OVSD 5.1

Highlighted
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Outbound email issue in OVSD 5.1

Hi,

Last week we activated inbound email to our system. On the OVSD server we activated protocol SMTP on port 25. It seems that this caused our outbound email to fail. The outbound email uses another email server for sending notifications on port 25. Is this not possible to have both inbound and outbound email on the same port?

Regards,
Mikael
2 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Outbound email issue in OVSD 5.1

Tell us more. How exactly is outbound e-mail failing? What's the sd server log say?

Using the same port for outbound e-mail makes no difference whatsoever. It is another server and another service after all.

The Pike
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Re: Outbound email issue in OVSD 5.1

Hi again,

Yes, I also find this strange. We discovered after enabling the SMTP protocol that the notification rules did not work.
I activated "Debug" on one of the DB rules and according to the log file the rule fired and an email was sent to the correct address. Everything seemed to work except for the email not being delivered.
The only change we had done that was related to this was the SMTP activation. When disabling the protocol again the rules started to work normally.

After this I activated the SMTP protocol once again and changed the port for outbound SMTP. Now both inbound and outbound email works as expected. However on different SMTP ports.

Regards,
Mikael