cancel

Organization usage of CI

Highlighted
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Organization usage of CI

Hi,

Service Desk 4.5 here.

I got an issue that I suppose it's not possible to do in SD. I hope you can say I'm wrong! :)

A CI can be used by several organizations, right?
What I need is for Service Desk to keep in some field the percentage of usage for each organization. Imagine, a CI is used by 3 orgs. Org1 uses the CI 10% of the time, Org2 uses it 50%, and Org3 uses it the remaining 40%.

Can this be done?

Thank you,
Fil
10 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Organization usage of CI

Fil,

This is a good example of why it is useful to be able to define attributes of relations, which you cannot do in OVSD.

That being said, the philosophy of a CMDB is to define an approved state for a CI, but not necessarily to track its operational usage. We have monitoring tools for the latter. If you interest is to see the reality of usage, I suggest you try to get that information from monitoring tools, not from the CMDB.

-Josh
CADBIOSS
Outstanding Contributor.

Fil,

If you have fairly few combinations of usage, you can also create virtual organizations. For example, you have organizations 1, 2 and 3.

You create an organization called Org1-10:Org2-50:Org3-40.

Then you can have other organizations with different percentages. If there are only a few combinations this may be one way of getting what you want.

Cheers...

Jim
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but that would be static and not dynamic, right?

Cheers,
F
CADBIOSS
Outstanding Contributor.

Correct, it is static. That's why I was saying if there aren't many variations in the percentages used it may be feasible to try.

If there are, it's not going to be manageable.

Custom fields are reallly the only way to address what you're looking for.

What Service Pack are you running on right now?

Cheers...

Jim
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Service Pack 20.

Thank you,
F
CADBIOSS
Outstanding Contributor.

OK so with unlimited custom fields to play with, that is how I would handle it.

Create an attribute for each of the three orgs, and enter the percentage for each on a per-CI basis. Then if you want to do reports per org, you can pull out all CI's that have greater than 0 for each org attribute.

Do you think that will work for you?

Cheers...

Jim
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Ok but a CI can be used by 3 or 0 or 1 or "n" Organizations. How can I handle that? I'm a bit confused now :(

Cheers,
F
CADBIOSS
Outstanding Contributor.

Fil,

I'm sorta saying you can't use the built-in organization functionality to do what you want. You're going to have to go outside the box a bit.

My suggestion still uses built-in functionality, but maybe you put the majority user as the main org, and then use the custom attributes for the percentages.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with this information. I assumed you wanted to report on who owns what, which prompted my last suggestion.

Maybe you can let me know what you need to use this information for and I can be more complete with a recommendation.

Cheers...

Jim
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Hi Jim,

Well I give you an example: imagine that there is a service call with a CI that is used by 20 orgs). I want to be able to define the percentage of responsability for that call among the 20 orgs.. They call it here shared CI's.

In reporting, I could easily build a report that gives me the actual duration of the call and the respective CI. But with a shared CI, that actual duration has to be distributed among the orgs using this CI. For example, if the actual duration of a service call is 2 hours, and we have defined (manually) that this CI is shared through 10 Orgs with 10% each, Org1 will have 12 minutes of the actual duration responsability, Org2 12 minutes, etc, etc, etc.. :)

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
F
CADBIOSS
Outstanding Contributor.

So let me make sure I'm following you. Are these organizations service organizations? And are you trying to identify which organization worked the problem for what percentage of the outage?

Because if it's customer organizations, and you're trying to figure out impact, I would think that the full 2 hours impact could be assigned to each and every customer using that equipment.

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the metric you're attempting to generate. The first one sort of makes sense, but I feel I'm missing something here.

Cheers...

Jim