Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Organization Change - Renaing Workgroups

Highlighted
Martijn van Bem
Frequent Contributor.

Organization Change - Renaing Workgroups

Our IT organization is about to change and therefore we need to adjust HP Servicedesk to this.

Currently we have about 20 workgroups that require their names changed.

When the workgroups are implemented we have to change the UI and Database rules to correspond to the new workgroups.

I can see two options :

1 - create new workgroups
2 - rename the existing ones.

Is there anyone who has done this before and is willing to share their findings in doing this?
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Organization Change - Renaing Workgroups

Hello Martijn,

When we have these kind of changes the first thing is to examine what workgroups will be retained and what workgroups won't. We block the workgroups that won't be retained but keep the data intact. If a group need renaming we just rename it.
menes fhtagn
Martijn van Bem
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks George for your reply. This answers my question. How would i proceed with changing the database rules and ui rules when I am changing the workgroups?

Can i stop the processing of rules while I am changing the workgroups?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Martijn,

Depending on how rules where implemented maybe you don't need to alter the rules. If however rules are based on workgroup;name, then you should alter them.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you can block the rules for the duration of the changes so that they dont fire and re-enable them when finished.

You could also make a copy of the rule just in case before making any changes.
When changing the name of the workgroup it will also change in the rule.
Martijn van Bem
Frequent Contributor.

George,

There are rules that have the workgroup names in the condition area.

Will the rules stop working as soon as I change the workgroup names or will the continue to be processed and generate errors?

Jan Schepers
Super Contributor.

Are the rules base on just a string or do they point to the real workgroups (this is the case were you selected the workgroup from a picklist). In the first case the rules will just stop working, in the secon case the rule will still work even for the renamed workgroup since it contains a pointer to the workgroup (based on oid).