The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option - Send me e-mail when items are assigned to me

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marcela Miguel

Option - Send me e-mail when items are assigned to me

Hellow, Fellows!

A have a question for you:

Does exist any manner this option ONLY SEND E-MAIL WHEN ITEMS not created for proper To Person?

Example 1: To Person = Mary but the service call was not created for her. Mary receives the e-mail.(Correct)

Example 2: To Person = Mary and Mary created the Service Call. Mary receives the e-mail. (Incorrect)

The "Send me e-mail when items are assigned to me" option send e-mail on this two forms. Though, I would like that Service Desk had sent the e-mail like example 1. Is it possible configure the "Send me e-mail when items are..." option for this event or only a BDRule?

Regards,

Marcela.

5 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Option - Send me e-mail when items are assigned to me

Hi Marcela,

What we have done is not to use the option "Send me e-mail when items are assigned to me". This is unchecked by default on all person records. One of the reasons we have done this is because of what you are experiencing above (and due to large volumes of e-mails killing the mail servers)

We then defined DB rules for problem, change, servcie desk ref e-mail notifications and assignments. This would allow you to use DB rules with criteria that would meet your requirements above. This does mean that we did create a number of new rules but it meant that we can really define who gets a mail notification and who does not based on conditions rather that an all or nothing approach.
Marcela Miguel

Mark, hellow!

Can you supply me more details about "...and due to large volumes of e-mails killing the e-mail servers." Did you say "killing"? Why?

DB Rules are solution? I thought this way,too.

Regards,

Marcela.
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

G'Day Marcela,

Yes - use rules. I think the option will give everyone in the workgroup an email if it is assigned to a workgroup but not an individual. The rules will give you the ability to just send to the manager of the workgroup and they can then assign the service call to the best person.

We also created a custom field 'Workgroup email' for workgroups and added this to the Workgroup form. For each workgroup we have a few people's addresses, using a ; as a sperator. When a call is assigned to a workgroup but not an individual, all the email addresses in this field gets the email. This way the prcess continues when the workgroup manager is not around - one of the others does the assigning.

Cheers
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

we deal with a large volume of servcie calls daily. If we used the option "Send me e-mail when items are..." every servcie call would generate a email as assigment to a workgroup is mandatory. our mail servers do no thave the current capacity to deal with this increase in mail and would suffer.

So we disabled this option and have set up DB rules to fire under certain conditions, one of which is as you have described above. Using the DB rules has substantiallly reduced the number fo e-mails being sent and to whom.
Marcela Miguel

Thank you all.

Regards,

Marcela.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event