The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openview and OVO Skill set

Highlighted
dmann
Collector

Openview and OVO Skill set

I am looking for a Openview/OVO administrator. However, I am having difficulty in finding one.

Currently, I think I will need to train someone. I am looking for advice on what the basic skill set should I look for? VBscripting? Korn shell? networking? process management?

Openview Service Desk?
Openview for Operations?

I have some advice from HP. But, I wanted to know what those of you in the trenches think. What makes a good OVSD / OVO administrator.

( I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate for this forum)
6 REPLIES
Rory Emmans

Re: Openview and OVO Skill set

The technical skill set depends on what kind of customizing outside of the tool you plan on doing or if you are integrating NNM, OVO etc into Service Desk. Make sure the person has Operational experience and are aware of the Processes, Workgroups within you Organization.
dmann
Collector

I would like to integrate OVO, SD and NNM. We have all three and some integration has been accomplished.

The environement is large 3000 node ands 300 servers. Fairly complex including clusered applicaiotn and databases.

Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Bill,

We have an excellent administrator who combines technical skills in shell scripting, VBScript, Java with breadth of knowledge about most categories of CIs and a very structured, meticulous approach to the work of administration.

-Josh
dmann
Collector

Josh,

You have an admin that has the following skills:

Java
VB scripting
Understands systems across platforms and networks
NNM
OVO
SD

And this skill set makes a great admin.

(PS. That sounds like you! :-))

Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Bill,

you shoul daim for a mix fo technical skills (mentioned above) and process skills e.g. ITIL/ITSM or similar framework. Servicedesk supports most elements of ITIL Service Support so OVSD should be developed by people with the technical and process skills. This could be one person (if lucky) or perhaps 2 people.
dmann
Collector

Thanks for the feed back.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event