Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenView 4.5sp17 unable to open attachments

Highlighted
OpenView 4.5sp1
Acclaimed Contributor

OpenView 4.5sp17 unable to open attachments

When I try to open image attachemnts in OpenView Service Desk 4.5 i get a error.

This operation has been cancelled due to a restriction in effect on this computer.

I can drag the attachment out of Openview to my desk top and open it with no error.

what am i looking for a group policy,access to the server or blocked ports?
6 REPLIES
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenView 4.5sp17 unable to open attachments

Hi,

As far as I know, when you try to open an attached file directly from SD, the application makes a call to the program for which the file's extension is related to. e.g. if the attahed file is a .bmp, it probably will try to call MS Paint, if it is a .doc, it will probably try to call MS Word (or whatever editor you use as default).

When you drag the file to the desktop, then it is not SD who tries to open it, but the OS... I am not sure if this helps you or not, but what happens if you change the default application to view images in that PC and then try to open it again?

Regards,
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
OpenView 4.5sp1
Acclaimed Contributor

If I place the JPG, BMP or what ever file type on my desktop or any other folder it will open with the default program it only when I try to open the file when it still attached to a service call.

This is a screen shot a JPG attachment I tried to open.
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Seems like a restriction in the Operating System. You really should contact your Windows adaministrator...
BUDI RAHARDJO_2
Regular Collector

My user has the same problem. Strange thing is that when I click the "Test Connection" button (in Attachment Settings under System Panel), the connection is successful but when I tried to open an attachment it gives the same error "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer".
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Check if the users has administrator rights on the machine...

See the information above, this does not seems to be an error with SD, but with permissions locally on the PC.

Remember that when you click to open an attachment, SD's java calls the default program that Windows has defined for the extension of the file (e.f. test.bmp will probably call MS Paint).

Now, once SD's java calls that program is Windows who needs to complete the task, or give permissions to that java process to call the program (MS Paint).

If you can drag and drop the file to the desktop and then manually open it from there, then you can confirm that issue is not with SD.

Hope this clears out...

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Rinat.Islamgale
Acclaimed Contributor

When you open attachments, OVSD makes a copy of this file in temporary folder before opening it in default program. Maybe you don't have write permissions to that folder?

My OVSD client copy this files to temporary folder: %userprofile%\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk\tmp\
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event