Once the incident is closed all related service calls are closed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
PMM
Valued Contributor.

Once the incident is closed all related service calls are closed

Hi,

I have several service calls related to one Incident. I need to implement that when the incident is closed all related service calls are closed. This is possible??

Thanks,
PMM
11 REPLIES
Alok Shrotri
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Re: Once the incident is closed all related service calls are closed

Hi,
It can be done through a DB Rule.

Create a DB Rule for Incident with criterion as when status equal closed, add a data update action. Select a related item with service call and set its status as closed.

Remember there are some fields which cannot be empty while closing a service call. So first update those before updating status of the Service call.

Cheers,
Alok
PMM
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for your help.

But Now I have other ploblem. I have several incidents related to one service call. I need that when all incidents are closed the service call is closed.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

Use the same mechanism. Create a db rule on service call when service call is closed to update related incidents status to closed.

Have in mind that if there are required fields for the status closed on incidents, these fields must be updated before set status to closed.
menes fhtagn
PMM
Valued Contributor.

but our form to work we need close first the incidents. When all incidents are closed the service call is closed

thanks
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

It is extremely unusual to have multiple incidents related to a single service call. It will not be easy to close that service call automatically only when all the incidents are closed, but it could be done. Be aware that any system you use to do this will probably be unable to manage exceptions, and therefore will be relatively unreliable.

For example, you could maintain a Service call custom field that contains a count of the number of related incidents that are not closed. Each time you relate a new incident, increment the field. Each time you close a related incident, decrement the field. When the field changes to zero, you can then close the service call. All that incrementing, decrementing and changing could be done via DB rules. Remember, I am NOT suggesting that you do this. IMHO, you should change your process so that a Service Call can be related to only one incident.

-Josh
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey PMM,

Are you saying you want the Incidents to close automatically when you close the service call? Or that the Service Call closes automatically when the final Incident is closed?
PMM
Valued Contributor.

I am saying that Service Call closes automatically when the all incidents are closed.

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I think you can do this by using a custom number field on a SC. Then have DB rules on an incident: one that adds 1 to this custom field when created and another that subtracts 1 when it closes.

Then have a DB rule on a SC that closes the SC when the count returns to zero.

A lot of work but possible.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
PMM
Valued Contributor.

I have created a field related incidents. Each time you relate a new incident, increment the field. Each time you close a related incident, decrement the field. When the field changes to zero, a RuleUI close the service call. It works well.

My problem is that I don't know how can I decrement the field when you delete a relation
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Basically you cannot fire a DB rule when you unrelate; when I have used this sort of approach for our customers, you just have to accept that there may be cases where you have to close the SC by hand.

Provided the unrelate case is rare, it should not matter too much

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Oscar Diaz_1
Respected Contributor.

Hello to all,

I have the same problem, I have an Incident with several Service Call related and want that when closing the incident closes the Service Call
Somebody development some rule or another way to do it?
Can you send this solution to me?

Thanks