SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

OVSD and OVOW integration question

Hello,
I'm fishing here.
OVSD is ONLY supported using JRE 1.3.1 correct?
OVSD will NOT work with Java 1.4.2 correct?
Is there a service pack for OVSD that will bring the requirement for OVSD 4.5 into line with java version 1.4.2?

What happened is when we installed the client on the ovow server (required) we had to install JRE 1.3 in order to get the client to work... guess what... it's hosed! Does anyone have any idea how to either get OVSD to work with java 1.4.2 for the client while the OVSD server is still at 1.3.1_11? OR does anyone have any thoughts as to how to get the ovow server back now that JRE has gone wild?
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
4 REPLIES
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: OVSD and OVOW integration question

Marc,

My understanding is that Sun's JRE 1.3.1 is only required for the SD server, not for the client. The client will run on Microsoft's JVM until SD 5.0 comes out.

Your post sounds like just the client is installed on the OVOW box, but I want to be sure that the SD server isn't on the same box. Is that a safe assumption?

I think you'll need to uninstall both JVM's to clean up, then reinstall just the 1.4.2 if that's what OVOW is using for you. Then install the client with the Microsoft JVM. There's no service pack to use Sun's Java with the client as far as I know... Unless you consider Service Desk 5.0 to be a Service Pack. ;)

Thanks,
Chris
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

Chris,
You are exactly right. Due to the fact MS VM is not on server 2003 was my oversight, once I installed that, uninstalled 1.4.2 and reinstalled 1.4.2 all is good.
I have not had much time on server 2003 and forgot about the SUN suit... yeah.
Thanks for your response.
Marc
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Yeah, wasn't it great of Microsoft to stop including their JVM with 2003 Server? Glad to hear that's all that was needed to get things working again.

Good luck,
Chris
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

MS JVM was not on server