Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVSD 5.x question...

Highlighted
Moxie
Regular Collector

OVSD 5.x question...

Does anyone know if CMDB relationships can be modified by Work Order in 5.x or there are plans to allow this?

Currently I have Servers and Operating Systems as CI. I am considering making the OS an attribute of the Server (or any other computer) due to the number of operating systems and their numerous patches, version changes, using relationships for this could be a tedious task.

Thoughts or comments on the best way to approach it.
Do it right the first time
5 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Re: OVSD 5.x question...

Hi,
Before you will have an answer, can you give us the following information? :
1. Are your servers located in an unique site?
2. Do you have any support application for discovery/inventory within your network?
Regards,
Dan
Moxie
Regular Collector

Servers are in multiple unique sites. Some are corporate servers located in a handful of data center locations. Others are in retail locations - 2 servers per retail location, 1 windows, 1 unix based and they vary in OS -- we have like 20 different OS for the various boxes we have.

We do have a discovery mechanism -- we use Marimba to manage the windows boxes. We have an inhouse tool or script to get the os information on the unix boxes in retail locations. Population of the relationships is not a problem, we will load them. The problem is in maintaining it that way as if 300 boxes go from a Windows 2003 OS to a Windows 2003 Advanced Server OS, then what do we do -- or better yet, they go from a SP1 to an SP2 and start to manage OS to a patch level?

Keep this info as an attribute to the server I think would make it much easier to manage long term. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you handle it?
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
Will be one replay per day due to time zone difference!
We are facing with something very similar. Over 150 servers in a central site and over 200 in branches, to cover LAN needing. Indeed, not software inventory and record of their relations could be a problem, even we don't have a full support application to do this (We have ZenWorks and SMS, but for workstations only). To maintain relations during a distributed change management is a hard job. One of the most comfortable way is to use "planned status" facility of WOs. I don't know if SD5.x is able to manage relations at WOs level. I'm afraid not. We, (configuration management team) make these changes manually, based on info coming from operational area.
I think that is not o good idea to consider OS, for example, as an attribute of HW CI, but is o good one to consider a SP as an attribute of a software CI. Well, still remain a problem, because there are to many versions of the same SW CI! You can choose to ignore this, having a single generic name (e.g. MS Windows 2000 Server) as long as your licensing cover all versions and a good relationship model SW-LIC is implemented, or, to keep all CI of different versions related with HW CIs, but this is a hard work.
In both, a Parent/Child relations between SW and HW CI could help you due to Max. installation field functionality. Max. installation value could be an amount of licenses purchased to cover installed software of same version or bellow.
Hope that this helps you, a little.
Best regards,
Dan
Moxie
Regular Collector

Thanks for the response. I agree that SP is an attribute of the OS, however you see the issue in updating the relationships from a CMDB standpoint and Marimba will give us the detail on which SP we are on with any verision of OS.

Seeing as the information is there, the issue becomes how to maintain it best from an OV standpoint. And I belive this is what our customer wants.

Thanks!
Moxie
Regular Collector

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event