Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVSD 5.1 performance and resource allocation.

Highlighted
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

OVSD 5.1 performance and resource allocation.

Ok... I gotta ask.

Is anyone else running Lotus Notes? I'm getting scads of complaints that when running Notes and OVSD java clients simultaneously their system gives a "low on resources" message in minutes.

On top of that, the heat is getting turned up about general performance issues across the board. We do 500-800 service calls a day, have around 10k clients across North America, 300 or so IT staff, lots of service pages users. We run that against 2 really big servers but performance is pitifull. Service Pages users are running 5 - 15 minute waits to display views. Normal users take a 2+ minutes to select from person table. Some users are complaining about 2+ minute waits on Save.

Do I just not have enough horsepower thrown at this thing or is everyone feeling this pain?
6 REPLIES
Rikard Ekman
Regular Collector

Re: OVSD 5.1 performance and resource allocation.

Hellu,

Well in one setup, much smaller, we had severe performance issues initially. Reason where that a lot of schedule elements had been created, for one reason or another...

Anyway, they where of reccurence type and had been created during migration from sd4.5 to sd5.1...

Removing them and all where well, don't know how this relate to your case.. But it seems that the sd5 likes resources.

So, no love from SD5.1 today?

//Rikard
Computers are evil, destroy them, destroy them all!
dschul
Regular Collector

Which SP level are you running on?

Do you really have 10000 SD clients out there? What is your definition of big servers? Can you let me know what specs you have?

We have currently 5.1SP1 in SP0 there was a bug which gave us tremendous performance problems.

We have around 250-300 concurrent users on the system and running 4 Application servers(1-2 CPU's and around 2GB memory), most of them running two object servers.
The SQL Server is a shared one. With 12 CPU's and 64GB memory.

Overall the performance is average, which I think is simply programming overhead in Java. Displaying 10000 calls is not a problem, but opening an Item takes very long.

Well done HP.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have worked on a number of instals with Notes as the email clients and some that migrated to Outlook without these type of issues. What is the standard spec of the client systems?

Generally performance issues for the OVSD client / server can be due to
- many scheduled tasks loading
- not utilising OVSD java memory allocation
- client distance from the application servers
- using lots of templates / views that do not have query restrictions set

This list isn't exhastive.

For service pages you can use dedicated application server so it only processes SP requests. This would help.

You can also run multiple instances of OVSD on a physical server as long as you have enough resources and have these joined to the pool of active application servers.
Rikard Ekman
Regular Collector

Hello Mark and dschul,

Do yoy find that multiple instances on the same winTel server is a good solution, or rather, when do you experience improved performance for these multiple instances?
Multi processor servers or?

Since I tend to find that increased Jave enviroment will use up most of the server resourcer and leave litle room for more instances..

//Rikard
Computers are evil, destroy them, destroy them all!
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

hmmm Mark... you may be on to something. Our default view for Service Request, Work Order, and Change is the "all" unfiltered view which has a 10k query restriction.

I'll have to do a change control and see if I can change it to some kind of filtered subset.
Gerry Allardice
Honored Contributor

For service pages the views are very slow if you add any fields to the views and dont created a matching WEB API application to go with it, so if you have tweaked the service pages views you may need to check this.

Regards
Gerry
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event