Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

OVSD 5.0: linking person to person records?

Highlighted
jamxav
Respected Contributor.

OVSD 5.0: linking person to person records?

Hello,

Does anybody knows if linking person records between themselves will be possible in 5.0? I know that it will allow to link SCs to SCs, Incs to Incs, Probs to Probs...

Thanks!

Diego
9 REPLIES
Mauricio Consta
Honored Contributor.

Re: OVSD 5.0: linking person to person records?

As far as I know you can't, but why you want to do that? maybe you can use workgroups?
Ragu_4
Respected Contributor.

Could you be more specific what exactly you want to do with relating person to person
jamxav
Respected Contributor.

Hello Mauricio and Ragu,

Thanks for your input. I posted this question some time ago, when OVSD 5.0 was not released yet. Now I know we cannot link person records among themselves. My customer (with ovsd 4.5) wanted to do that in order to reflect a person manager without having to use organization records. Although I told him that OVSD was designed to use organization records for that purpose I still wanted to verify that the new version could allow things to be handle in a more flexible way.

Diego

Ragu_4
Respected Contributor.

All you got to do is use a custom filed for the manager attribute and you can create any rule for that custom field.
Hope that helps
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

I doubt that there will be a custom field of type person for a person record. My argument to the customer would be that they will be adding huge admin overhead. Assume that a manager manages 10 staff. That manager is replaced. Using organization records you only need to update one record. Using a person ref on the person record you would need to update 10 records. If they manage 100 people.....
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

I posted essentially the same question a few days ago. In our case, since this information is coming directly from an LDAP interface, there is absolutely no administrative overhead. Furthermore, the organization does not have managers of organizational units; it only has hierarchical reporting lines, person to person.

A lot of businesses are like this, and you can hardly tell them to be different just because OVSD does not know how to simply define a reporting line.

-Josh
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

It is not in 5.0 now. But the good news is that with 4.5 SP18 it is possible! You can use the unlimited custom fields feature to create a new person type custom field. Eventualy, 5.0 will catch up with the new 4.5 features so I'm sure it will be possible in 5.0 too.
Mauricio Consta
Honored Contributor.

Waho!!, that's good news, could you post more information on the new unlimited custom fields capability?
Mauricio Consta
Honored Contributor.

Well, I took sometime searchein and I found this in SP 18 :

Title: Unlimited custom fields
Document ID: ITSM008292

With the new custom fields feature, administrators get the ability to add extra
fields to Service Desk item. This way, the use of custom fields is no longer
limited by the number of custom fields offered by Service Desk.