OVSD 4.5 integration with external tool

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Felipe Cabrera
Contributor.

OVSD 4.5 integration with external tool

Hi,
I'm new in the forum, probably this topic has been already discussed here but I could'n find anything.

I'm working on a .NET application that will open and close incidents on OVSD (we are using version 4.5). Is the java Web API the only way to interface with OVSD or is there anything else?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: OVSD 4.5 integration with external tool

Hi Felipe,

you can also use the sd_event command to update incidents on hpovsd.

You will find all documentation in the DataExchange Administrator's Guide. (Provided on the HPOV SD installation CD or on the support site)

But personally I would prefer to use the Web API since you work with .Net applicaiton.

Hope this helps,
Rgds,
Michel
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

I'm a little new to programming and haven't had a lot of experience with .NET yet, but I thought you could only use the Web API with Java. Can you use .NET with the Web API??

If so, can you recommend some training paths for a somewhat newbie like me.

Thanks,
Colleen
Felipe Cabrera
Contributor.

Hi Michel,
Thanks a lot, I'll read the documentation, I guess I'm gonna use the WEB Api anyway.
Felipe Cabrera
Contributor.

Hi Colleen,
You can't use the web API directly, but there are some workarounds (.net/java interoperability).
You can create a java web service, expose the methods you need in the API as web methods and call them from your .net code. You might also consider a secure web service in case you need some extra security.

There are also 3rd party tools that use "Bridging Technology" (JNBridge, J-Integra). These are commercial products.

Another alternative would be IKVM, which is an implementation of java for the .NET framework that includes a tool that compiles java classes (and .jar files) into a .NET assembly. I tried this option but I had a lot of problems coverting data types, so I'll go with the web service.
Jan Gunnar Helg
Honored Contributor.

Felipe,

Where can I find the Dataexchange documentation on the web?
Felipe Cabrera
Contributor.

Hi Jan,
The documentation is on the installation CD under \doc, if you don't have the CD I can send you the file per email (~2.5MB).
Jan Gunnar Helg
Honored Contributor.

Yes please :)

jangunnar.helgaland@akerkvaerner.com