OVSD 4.5 and SLM Module

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
nija patel
Super Contributor.

OVSD 4.5 and SLM Module

Hi,

I am implementing OVSD 4.5 for one client. I have to implement SLM module now. Client has more than 100 services. and more than 100 of support hours. I have suggested client to reduce number of services and number of support hours. Defining over 100 of services and support hours in OVSD is not advisible. What should I suggest to client on this matter?

Regards,
Nija
4 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: OVSD 4.5 and SLM Module

In 4.5 the number of services is not an issue, we have over 1000. There might be an issue if you tried to monitor them with the active SLM in 5.1 (which would need licenses) but just holding a "catalogue" and using it to relate ORG --> SLA --> Service --> CIs is no problem.
nija patel
Super Contributor.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advise. Can you please advise me more how should i go about to implement SLM module with over 100 services and over 100 Support Hours?

I am using OVSD 4.5 SP18. OS: Windows 2003.

Thanks a lot once again

Regards,
Nija
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

wow - that's a pretty big topic for a forum entry!

For a start I would go back and see why there are >100 Support Hours? What do they do - start work at different 5 minute intervals each day?

But seriously - start simple and build up.

Identify the critical business services and get these in place. Link them to the critical Servers they depend on. Then put in place the Management Services which take care of these servers. Then put in place any underpinning services which support the management via third parties.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Nija,

Mike hit the nail on the head there. Start simple and build it up. Identify the most critical services to a maximun of say 10 and build the services for these. Then once they are in place and you know the servcie structure that has bee defined and implemented works build more in.

If you try to build all this in one go and you later realise that you need to modify things to get what you want it could be time consuming to change things.