The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVSD 4.5 SP19 - creating complex views

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
James Mohr

OVSD 4.5 SP19 - creating complex views

Hi All!

I am trying to create a relative complex view and cannot find any decent documentation on creating views nor can I figure out the right order to get the ANDs and ORs together.

The bottom line is that I want a view that displays all of the services calls the the user help desk group (UHD) worked on. We already have a view to display all of the calls that were registered today and since only the UHD opens calls, that part is easy.

If the call has been changed today AND the group currently assigned is UHD, getting that view is easy.

There are cases where the call was not opened today, UHD worked on it, but then assigned it to another group. So changed = today, but group != UHD. The only time we would need to report these calls is when UHD worked on then and then assigned it to a different group. So, we created a new field (UHD_changed) that gets set by a UI rule to "now" when the assigned group gets changed **from** UHD. Then we look for Calls where UHD_changed = today.

Getting these last cases into a single view is the problem.

registered != today
and
(
( registered-changed = today and group = UHD)
or
( UHD_changed = today)
)

Now two make it even more complex, there are two groups, UHD and Ops, so the one criterion would be:

( registered-changed = today and (group = UHD or group = Ops) )

If there were two views, one for each group, that would be OK, but I still cannot figure the right order for compounds and criterion to get it to do what I want.

Any help is appreaciated.

regards,

jimmo

www.linux-tutorial.info
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: OVSD 4.5 SP19 - creating complex views

Hello James,

The condition is like this:

NOT (Registration;Created today)
AND ( ( Registration;Modified today
AND ( Assignment;To workgroup equals Operations & Support (BSS)
OR Assignment;To workgroup equals Infrastructure))
OR Registration;Modified today)

See the attached image

However chances are that client will choke with this view... multiple conditions are not views' forte.
menes fhtagn
James Mohr

Hi George!

That actually seemed to do the trick. Looking at the construction of the condition, I am getting a better feeling for how to build them properly. I am curious, is there any documentation that describes how these conditions fit together or did you figure this out on your own?

regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello James,

I learned by myself for creation of complex DB/UI rules. However it is boolean algebra in RPL. Everyone that had a touch with a HP scientific calculator can understand it quickly.
menes fhtagn
James Mohr

Amazing!!! RPN is the way I explained it to a co-worker last night. He had never heard of RPN. I guess we are showing our age.

Thanks for the help!

regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hey James!

I don't know 'bout you but I'm only 34 ;)

And HP calcs enthusiast !
menes fhtagn
James Mohr

You mean you actually *like* RPN??? (frown, sigh, shudder)

OK, I am showing *my* age. I come from a time where you only used RPN because you *had* to. (46)

regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

hehe...

In the beginning I just hated it! But eventually I learned to like it. It's very handy on stack programming!
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event