OVSD 4.5 Relation Types

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Hemul
Collector

OVSD 4.5 Relation Types

Hello all,

I have SD 4.5 SP 20, and I want to create relations between CI hierarchy with Relation types "Contains, Is part of and more ..." but , I have a problem with SLA on related configuration items.

For example: I have created CI "A" with type "Information System" and with “OLA Service”, then relate it to 5 other CI’s with "Contains" relation type. So my Information System “A” contains 5 servers, Right ?

Now, when I creating incident with one of 5 CI’ “related to “A” CI with type “Is part of” I have receive no OLA Service from “A” CI.

If a relation type is “Parent – Child” is work excellent.

Someone got this problem ?
7 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: OVSD 4.5 Relation Types

I've not exactly hit ths but am not surprised. The Parent-Child relationship is "special" and allows the code-writer to provide facilities (for example the licence-counting via "Max Installations"). To expect the same facilites via "flat" relationships is unfair.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

There is a reason for the existence of three entity relation sets considering CI relations. CI Parent and CI Child are different from Related CIs. CI Parent and CI Child are hierarchical relations while Related CIs are free form. I quote from the help page:

<<
Free-form relations show different information than hierarchical structures. While in a hierarchical structure you can only express the parent-child relation, in a free-form relation you can determine the kind of relation with a relation type code. This way, you can show the specific function of a configuration item in relation to another configuration item. Because there are different relation type codes, you can make more than one free-form relation between two items. The relation expressed in a hierarchical structure is often the physical relation, in real-life established with cables and connectors. The free-form relation can express functional relations. This makes relation possible between configuration items physically separated. For example, in a free-form relation you can specify the functional relation between two computers in different network domains.

>>
menes fhtagn
Hemul
Collector

1. A Relation type code is "Ordering number" field in relation type form?
2. What relation type code i need to use for create free-form relation type that would be as hierarchical relation.
I need that for create relation between Information subsystems and part of configuration items (Servers, applications and more ....)
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can't create hierarchical relation. This type of relation is built-in. You can only create free form relation types.

Furthermore, CI relation is not a code. CI Relation type is an ordered code for the entity "CI relation" but it differs from normal ordered code because each value can be mapped to another value (the reverse relation)
menes fhtagn
Hemul
Collector

So, what kind of relation type i need to use between Information subsystem and server.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

There is no single answer to your question. It depends on your needs. If you need to make it hierarchical then have the CI have parent child relation. It really depends on what you want and what viewpoint you want to use.
menes fhtagn
Hemul
Collector

O.k
Thank you for your prompt response.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event