SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Kieran Maloney
Respected Contributor.

OV 5.0 vs 4.5

Folks

I'm trying to make a discission on wether to go
with 5.0 or 4.5 and I'm looking for any thoughts or experience of 5.0 from the forum

any help will be much appreciated

Rgds Kieran
10 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: OV 5.0 vs 4.5

To me, looks like it's too early to comment/discuss about the stability/reliability of OVSD 5.0. If you really wanna try 5.0, I insist you better wait for some more time.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Kieran,

There is currently no migration path from 4.5 to 5.0 available and it will not be available till the second half of this year (2006). So it would only be worth even thinking about version 5.0 for a totally new installation and as 5.0 only became available about 2 weeks ago it is still very early days.

My recommendation would be if this is for a new installation in a couple of months time, 5.0 would be OK but sooner than that you have to balance the unknown quantities of 5.0 itself against the "pain" of possibly doing a very major upgrade comparatively soon after initial installation.

So wait and see would be my advice (if you can)

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Oguz Kutlu Asi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

Like Ruth said, since it will be a great (and additional of course) effort to migrate from 4.5 to 5 after implementation of 4.5, i would certainly wait for version 5 if you have time.
What's right is right, whether or not God exists
Kieran Maloney
Respected Contributor.

Folks

Thanks for this, We are doing a new installation in the next couple of days so 5.0 maybe the way we go

Thanks Kieran
Jasper Verweij
Acclaimed Contributor.

Via http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/ all 5.0 documentation is nwo available as well as a draft version of differences guide!

http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

Jasper
Joe Knudsen
Acclaimed Contributor.

I would look at the docs and see what version has what features you want. Going with 4.5 SP16 I would think would be much more stable then 5.0. My guess is the next version after 5.0 you might be able to upgrade from 4.5 since so many customers are at 4.5 and just skip the 5.0 version. Something to think about. Do you want to be on the leading edge or the bleeding edge? The docs being available should be helpful if see if 5.0 has features that you would need or want right away.
Trust Jesus
Jeff Lawrence
Super Contributor.

My question would be - are you starting development now and then plan on changing that over to production later? I would go with SD 5 so you dont have to configure and implement 4.5 and then have to upgrade. If you need it now and plan on using it know then i would go with 4.5
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

We've decided to keep implementing SD4.5 for clients for a while yet, unless they specifically want SD5.0. It takes a while for a new client to get really used to a new implementation anyway, so the wait of 9 months+ for the conversion utilities from V4.5 to 5 often won't matter. However our first SD5 implementation will be in March so will be interesting to see how that goes.
Regards,...Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Rubem Andrade
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

Would you please send me the URL where Id can read the information you said above about the migration to be released only at the second half of 2006.
Thanks a lot,
RA

PS: I believe in you, but my boss ...
Wilfried Riegel
Respected Contributor.

I worked with the beta version and I like it very much. It worked stabil on my notebook, but we not yet installed it for customer in large environment. This will follow in february.

There are a lot of new useful features in it.

Best information soruce is the difference guide (jasper gave you the link).

Last week I showed it to one of my customers
and they appreciated mostly:
- Hyperlinks in textfields now work as state of the art in windows: it is underlined, a click (with Ctrl) opens the link, the file link now is like file://c:\demofolder with blank\demo.txt
- notification window: new assigned items are shown (if wanted) in an extra window with lines, doubleclick opens the form.
- Combination View: Views of different items can be shown in one window
- Lift out windows: you can drag any view-window from the sdconsole to an extra window on your desktop.
- filters now allow AND or OR

and many other very useful things like SSO, Person Roles, location own object, ErrorTracing, see docu.

Installation is easy, but orientation in the filesystem is more complex than before: more processes, more folders in filesystem. In the old version the folderstructure was more intuitive (server/agent/client/event...)

Unfortunately, as you know, migrating from 4.5 will be possible only in second half of (I hope) this year.
And all new functionalitys in sd4.5 after sp7 are not yet implemented in this first release (like enhanced auditing, n:m-Relations, autowo for automatic workflow,...)

Wilfried