Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Number of licenses required for 100 users

Highlighted
aks3183
Super Contributor.

Number of licenses required for 100 users

i am installing service desk for 100 concurrent users. Could anybody tell me how many licenses do i need to obtain for this purpose. Named and concurrent user licenses both.
8 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Number of licenses required for 100 users

Hi,

Named licenses: If you have staff that need to be logged on all the time they would generally be given named licenses unless you had a sufficient supply of concurrents. Generally these would be the helpdesk staff.
Others could use concurrent licenses. So first of all figure out how many people will need to be guaranteed a log on.
aks3183
Super Contributor.

right now i would like to go with 5 administrators and 95 concurrent users. Please let me know how many licenses(named and concurrent) are needed for this set up.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Akash, do this 95 people have to log on to the application at the same time?
menes fhtagn
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Akash,

Once you have decided how many users must be guaranteed a login, as Mark suggests, look at the patterns of usage of the rest.

Some people only do occasional approvals. Some people work on an incident only twice a year, and a change only once in a blue moon. You will hardly need 1 license for all the people in this group.

Other people need to use OVSD for a certain partial time every day. You may need, say, 1 license for every 3-4 people in this group.

Other users are even more occasional, and you may need only 1 license for every 8-10 occasional users.

Finally, the timeout you set will influence the number of licenses needed. People have cited timeouts ranging from 15 mins, to 1 hour. The shorter the timeout, the more users per licence, but the greater the risk of someone being locked out for lack of a license.

Good luck,

Josh
aks3183
Super Contributor.

hey Josh thanks for the explanation. Do you mean to say that a license is given to a set of people according to their usage time or how frequently they login to the service desk application??
aks3183
Super Contributor.

Hi ALl,
Thanks to all you for your help.I could get some more inputs on the type of users that would be using SD 4.5. There will be around 45 helpdesk persons working at any point of day receiving calls. Apart from this there will be IT support staff around 300 persons who might attend the calls logged against their name or group. These persons might be logging in to update or check the service calls/incidents assigned to their groups. Apart from these folks, there would be service managers/change managers watching the SLA's/changes being registered. Could you please let me know how the licenses need to be got for this situation. Would these licenses work for automatic servicecalls being raised through emails and COMMAND-LINE-INTERFACE(SD_EVENT) from Netowork/node monitoring systems.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

perhaps the following may be what you want.

50 Named (to cover 45 helpdesk staff - working at any point of day receiving calls and of the remaining 5 it doesnt hurt to have at least one named for the OVSD admin and a few spare)

50 Concurrent - to cover the other staff that my log in. Controlled via the timeout period may help.

Reduce the named licences if you don't think that 45 or so users willever be logged on at any one time. or buy slightly less as you can get more quick enough.

Has HP provided any insight for your situation

You can set up accounts as integration accounts that can be used for data exchange,sd_event etc. so you may not have to by extra for these.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Akash,

The purpose of my previous advice was to help you calculate how many licenses you need to buy. It was not meant as a technical description of how licensing works.

Technically, there are 3 things to know (apart from the bugs):

1. A named license can only be used by one account, and it guarantees access to OVSD.

2. A concurrent license may be used by any number of accounts, one at a time.

When an account seeks to log in, the type of license is read and if it is concurrent, OVSD checks to see if a license is available. If it is, the login proceeds.

If no license is available, you see an error message to this effect.

While a user is logged in, the time since the last activity is measured (including any automatic refreshes that may be configured). If this time exceeds the timeout, the account is automatically logged out; however, nothing changes on the client screen.

When a user thus logged out starts to work again, OVSD attempts to reconnect that account. If a license is still available, the reconnection is completely transparent (although you might experience a slight delay and see some messages on the status line).

However, if no concurrent license is available, the user must wait until one becomes available (either because someone else with a concurrent license logged out, or was timed out).

I hope this explanation helps you decide how many licenses to buy.

-Josh