Highlighted
Mr.NiceGuy
Valued Contributor.

Not accountable status for incident

Hi,
OVSD 5.1 hp-ux oracle
Customer has the following requirement.

1. Incident status - "Pending customer care"
2. When this status is selected, the clock should stop ticking and add this duration to the "deadline" of the incident.

so I created a new status and set it to "Not accountable" but practically I see no difference setting the status to this. ie Total incident duration is still "reg-created time" minus "incident end time" and no changes in "deadline"

Can somebody suggest how to implement this ? Do I need any UI rule ? if yes on what logic ?

How this situation is being tackled in your environments ?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Not accountable status for incident

AFAIK this functionality is not there at all. When you think about it it is more complicated then you initially outline. Imagine a situation where you set the Incident to non-accountable state and it is there long enough to reach original deadline. Some rules may get triggered. If you'd like to prevent this the deadline should be continually moving as time progresses so that any time you look at that Incident the amount of accountable left time remains the same.
Mr.NiceGuy
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Radovan.

So is there any other way in SD to suspend an incident for some time ?

regards,
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

I was thinking about this some time ago (a customer came with such requirement). Not easily to be done. What you could do (but would require some coding/other kind of magic) is that when you leave non-accountable state, you add the time spent there to deadline. It has few pitfalls though:

1) You need to measure that spent time in regards of applied Service Level (calendar). I.e. when you have 8x5 SL applied you only need to only take into account hours that fall into that interval.

2) Similarly, you'd need to take that spent time and add it to deadline but take applied SL into calendar. So when you need to add for example 24 hours in 8x5 calendar it means pushing deadline further by 3 full days.

Both 1) and 2) need something that is lacking (AFAIK) - time calculations using Service Levels. You could do that in Java but would require some slightly advanced coding and integration...

3) Still doesn't solve situation in which the non-accountable state lasts too long and crosses deadline (upon which you certainly has bunch of DB rules).

I was once planning to extend the time operations (add, subtract) in rules to take SL into considerations (1 and 2). It would also handle reaching deadline and postponing it to later time (actually by time spent in non-accountable state).

All this could be done but would require some hardcore SD hacking. Are you willing to pay for it? I estimate it would take around 20 days of work...
Mr.NiceGuy
Valued Contributor.

Thank you very much for ur time Radovan.

I too did some trail and errors with UI rules to detect the state change and update deadline filed but getting no where.

We have plans to migrate to SM 7.10. Would you tell me if this is possible out of the box in SM 7 ?

regards,
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Crazy, crazy idea. I don't think SM7 does this. Besides you'll end up in a terrible horror regarding maintainability, understandability, etc... There was a guy presenting at HP Universe regarding SM7 success story and he began like this: "Where we needed 1 guy to maintain and extend SD and only invited consultants for difficult jobs, we now need 4 or 5 people just to make it run. Not to tell about required HW upgrade, need to reimplement all the processes (logic is not migrated), need to reimplement all the integrations, ... Read some more here: http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1265114531720+28353475&threadId=1315180