Non technical question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Masmix
Honored Contributor.

Non technical question

Hi

Which Openview series (or other) product is able to monitor availability of IT services "per user"? I mean: we need a tool which can proove that our services were 100% available for specific user? Good thing coule be reporting which resources are used by which users and how strongly.

We have IT Operations (not well configured) and NNM 7.51.

Sorry for not beeing specific and thanks for any clues.
Points guaranteed.
7 REPLIES
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Re: Non technical question

Hi,
If you use HPOV Service Desk 5.x with SLM then you can easily configure services per users and measure te availabiliy of these services. The input regarding non availability can come in the form of incidents or auto calls logged from other monitoring tools like NNM or OVO.

SD can also be used to link the resources (configuration items) used by users.However usage of resources per user can not be measured by SD.
Frans_F
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Actually service desk can do this the problem however is that you need also to create within service desk a service per user to track this, because else you would only be looking at the combined level. So for example you could specify one service EMAIL but that would be for everyone and not per user. If you want per user you could create (child-) service called EMAILRONALD and EMAILFRANS for specific users called Ronald and Frans. This will enalble you to see individual impact of a service. If you would only register against the service EMAIl you also could do this possibly with reporting. But then you have to combine the service anme and the caller from individual service calls to see who was impacted officially and for how long. So there are different options. The advantage with an hyarchie (EMAIL plus two child services EMAILRONALD and EMAILFRANS) setup is that you could only define one SLA (service level agreement) and link that to the PARENT or even have different ones per user if that would apply within your organization (for example a more stringent SLA for your helpdesk operators may be needed then for your mailroom employees then this can be achieved in this way).

These are just a few ideas of the top of my head. And depending on what level of detail you need other options may apply.
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

Im not sure how you can measure the availabilty of IT Services per user but I think HP OpenView Application Management can do it per service. check out http://h20229.www2.hp.com/solutions/appmgmt/index.html for some further details.
Masmix
Honored Contributor.

Hi

Thanks fot answers.

But what about Service Quality Manager?? I have found interesting sentence in brochure:

"With HP OpenView Service Quality Manager, you can show your
customers that the committed service levels are actually deliveredâ
and that you address problems before services are affected."

Sounds great - but as far I know everyting sound great during presentation. Running in environment isn't so great.

Thanks in advance
Jan Schepers
Super Contributor.

Maybe you can also have a look at Openview Internet Services (OVIS). This tool works with agents that can be installed on workstations to monitor the user experience. Within this tool you can also define Service Levels an SLA's concerning availability an response times.
http://openview.hp.com/products/ovis/index.html

Regards,
Jan.
Rytis Damalakas
Super Contributor.

Hello,
Not sure if this is good way to show the quality of service - one incident would, which would last about 1hour, would show heavy service quality degradation, even that it was the only incident during 1 month for 1000 users. What i mean is that if this is service for one user, than you dont need to calculate availability for users (just for service), and if this service is for alot users then calculating availability for users will not show the real quality of service. Another question - do you realy need to calculate availability? If you need to show that there was 100% availability, that means you must show that there were no incidents for that person or used CI's and this transforms into simple problem of registering and tracking incidents.

Rytis
Masmix
Honored Contributor.

Hi Rytis

Problem is that we are not sure about what exactly we want. Have some idea how it should work and nothing more. Every clue based on Your experience will be very helpful for me.

Thanks again