The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions – integration with external web site

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sealight
Acclaimed Contributor

Newbie questions – integration with external web site

Hello.

I just recently started working with Service Desk so please apologise me if my questions are kind of obvious or even silly.

I need to expose a web page (on a MOSS web site) to allow any user to open an incident.
What is the best way to do it?

- Should I develop a web part and invoke a Service Desk web service?
- Does such thing exist? (A Service Desk web service to open a case)
- If not how can I do it?

Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Newbie questions – integration with external web site

Hi,

OVSD comes with a basic web page capability. It is called Service Pages. You need to install the Service Pages files first. These are available on your original install media. Then you need to apply the same service pack to service pages as you have running on you application server and clients. This is available on the HP patch download site - or if you have the Servcie Pack install files there is a service pages folder with the necessary install files.

Have a look in the OVSD install guide for details on installing up Service Pages as you need to set a java variable (if it is not set already).

Service Pages will allow a non licensed user to create a service call. Also licensed users can log and update problems, changes, incidents and service calls.

It does require .jsp and html skills to modify.
sealight
Acclaimed Contributor

Thanks for the info.

However I really need to integrate it with a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Site (.NET) so publishing a .jsp page is not a good option to me.

Can I use some kind of API / Web service to interact with Service Desk from a .Net site ?

Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I see. Yes there is a web API that can be used. It may be available on the install media.

If not go here and searce for the web API guide for OVSD 4.5 (i presume you are using 4.5) http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals

If you cant find it there post back with your email address and I will email it to you. Its too large to attch here.
sealight
Acclaimed Contributor

I've found the "HP OpenView Service Desk 4.5 Web API Programmerâ s Guide".

However this is a Java API and I need to integrate Service Desk 4.5 with a .NET site.

- Where can I find a .NET API or even a COM+ one?
- Does such thing exists?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the Java API is the API available with OVSD 4.5. Other that that the other mechanisim is to use sd_svent to make calls but that does not suit your needs here.
sealight
Acclaimed Contributor

If we don't have other option we'll go through sd_event however we think that is not a very "clean" solution.

Running a command line application, parsing returned log files, managing concurrent calls...

But I guess we don't have other choice.
Michael Hamelra
Occasional Contributor

I am starting to work with HP OVSD Web API â ¦ Its my understanging I need to download the apporiate service pack...based on the version of OVSD I am on. OVSD 4.5 SP17

Could so one help me locate Web API service package â ¦maybe a URL
Bottom Line I just need this file - web-api.jar

michael.hamelrath@hp.com
P.S I work for HP and I can not find it...
AndrewB
Regular Collector

Hi Sealight,

We are a .net shop as well. The way we got around the issue is to write small web service that will parse to the api. Our in-house developers did this and then the .net code talks to the web service.

Java is the way it is with ovsd. There is not COM or .net interface that I am aware of, that why we wrote one. From what I understand, it was not that hard (for the programmer).

Good luck.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event