Need help in modifying service call form

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Need help in modifying service call form

Hi,

I need some help in modifying a call log form. I'm trying to insert a page called Log in the form. Check attachment. And what i want is, whatever is type int he description field should be exported to Log page. The log page should be a read only and once the details are exported the description filed should be set blank. Can someone help me with this. I am not an OV admin and i have not desgned this form..but somehow need to find a way to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.
14 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Need help in modifying service call form

Hi there,

To do this try the following:

1. Go to Data>Custom fields>Service call and find a Text 255 - set the Activate button and rename it as Log ( or some other name). Save and close.

2. Go to Presntation>Forms>Service Call and open your form. Drag this Log field to your tab. Save this.

3. Go to Data>Required fields>Service Call. Find this field and make it read only.

4. Set up a database rule -go to Actions & rules>Rules>Database rules. Set it up as:
Object type - Service Call
When SC is create or mdified
Condition: NOT Description is empty
Actions: Update data
a) Set Log to Field Description
b) Set Description to function make empty

Hope this helps, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to set "Information(65xxx)" as label Log and activated it.
And i was able to add a page called log and add this filed to the form.
But i'm stuck here cause when i go to required fields->service calls-> am unable to find Log under that

am i missing something here or should i set log as a requird filed somewhere for me to see it under required fields.

Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to set "Information(65xxx)" as label Log and activated it.
And i was able to add a page called log and add this filed to the form.
But i'm stuck here cause when i go to required fields->service calls-> am unable to find Log under that

am i missing something here or should i set log as a requird filed somewhere for me to see it under required fields.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Can you post a screen shot of where you are trying to set Required fields please.

Also I see have you have set the 64K field to be log - does that mean you want to use it to store ALL the changes to Description rather than just the latest - if so you will need to use nested concatenate functions to do that. If you do want ALL descriptions, please can you say how you woudl like it to look and I can give you details of how to do it; for example do you wnat it say:

Date/time, Name of person making the change
Latest Description

Previous contents of Log

Hope this helps, Ruth
Dont forget to give some points if this helps!
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,

I've attached a screen shot. What i've done so far is i've added a page called "Log" in the service call form and added a field as log as per ur suggestion. I've set 64K text for log since i want it to contain all the updates of the call/description field.

My questions now are:

1.How do i set the log field as read only.Should i do it through users & security->roles->workgroup name->service call->advanced->and make log as just view only? Or is there another way to do it?

2.i want workgroups to put updates and findings under description, these should automatically get exported to log along with date/time and name of person making the change.

3. After this i want the description field to be cleared once it gets imported to log. I think that can be done through a DB rule as u've mentioned in point4.

Your help is much appreciated. Should i assign points once i confirm solution and close thread or can i do it for each updte that u give me?

Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

To answer your other questions:

1. .How do i set the log field as read only?

As you are not on the SP which lets you set read-only from the required fields feature, you will have to do it using users & security->roles->workgroup name->service call->advanced->and make log as just view only.

2.I want workgroups to put updates and findings under description, these should automatically get exported to log along with date/time and name of person making the change.

You will need to get your DB rule update data action to use nested concatenate functions as follows:

Log set to
Concatenate(Attribute Assignment;to workgroup;name, WITH Concatenate(value", ", WITH Concatenate(Attribute Registration Modified, WITH Concatenate(Value ", ", WITH Concatenate(Attribute(Registration; Modified by;Display name, WITH Concatenate(Value"%line.separator%", WITH Concatenate(Attribute Description, WITH Concatenate(Value"%line.separator%%line.separator%", WITH attribute Log))))))

3. After this i want the description field to be cleared once it gets imported to log. I think that can be done through a DB rule as u've mentioned in point4.

Then clear Description.

Hope this helps, Ruth

PS as regards points - it is up to you when you assign them and how many.

Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,

I've almost got it sorted out. But i still have a small glitch. The %line.separator% does not leave a spacing. Check the screenshot

As per ur instructions i've set the DB rule and the Update data for Log looks like this

Log set to (Concatenate [Assignment;To Workgroup;Name]With (Concatenate ','With (Concatenate [Registration;Modified]With (Concatenate ','With (Concatenate [Registration;Modified by;Display name]With (Concatenate '%line.separator%'With (Concatenate [Description]With (Concatenate '%line.separator%line.separator%''With [Log]))))))))

Any suggestions to rectify this problem or have i missed something

Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

If "%line.separator%" is not available it may be because you are not on a SP which has this. What version are you using and what SP?

Regards, Ruth
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,

We are using Service Desk 5.0 and i don't suppose a Service pack is installed. I don't see that information anywhere. Is there a particular place i need to look to find that out.

what other options do i have incase a SP is not installed. Do i need to install any particular SP. And if i do that will it affect any other configurations.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

I would recommend moving from 5.0 to 5.1 with SP 5 at least not just for this but because 5.1 SP 5 is more reliable and ha sother useful features.

However, if you cannot do this soon enough I am pretty sure I saw another way of doing what you want in an answer from George Menegakis but I cannot remember the details. So search the forum to see if you can find his advice.

Hope this helps, Ruth
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the reply. I did manage the find the link from George

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1062756

But i'm not too sure what he means by "Either right click on the label "Fixed Value" and select zoom and put a CR"

Am able to right clcik on field where i've entered the value "%line.separator" and Zoom in...it brings up a zoomed in view of field ,but i don't quite understand how to put a CR or rather what it means. I know this might sound stupid but would you be able to clarify what a CR is? And how do i add it?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

CR is a carriage return (new line) but now I realise (sorry!) that his advice only works for version 4.5. But I have found the following if you cannot wait till you upgarde to a SP which has %line.separator%.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1001304

Hope this helps, Ruth
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

Hi Ruth,

That worked like a charm. Whew...i've got what i wanted now. Thanks a lot for your help and for staying with me throughout on this. Really appreciate the help.
Mohan Dass
Super Collector

problem sorted out
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event