Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Need help configuring inbound email

Highlighted
Anders Nilsson
Honored Contributor.

Need help configuring inbound email

Hi,

I have opened manuals and tring to follow instructions.

I found it difficult finding following settings which are described on manual:
1. Select the Activate the SMTP Protocol check box and set the IP port number in the server settings editor.
Is it somewhere on Service Desk application or SMTP service on Windows? I can't find following checkbox on application.

2. Define e-mail server settings in the System Settings workspace.
This should be on System Settings -> Email Configuration, but it doesn't make sense for me after previous mentioned point.

3. Link each one to a service call template
Where is done that one?

I paste an original instruction from manual.

Mandatory tasks
— Server
— Select the Activate the SMTP Protocol check box and set the IP port number in the server settings editor (for Inbound E-mail)
— Enter e-mail addresses for Person objects
— Client
— Select the option Send Me E-mail When Objects Are Assigned to Me in Service Desk
— Define e-mail server settings in the System Settings workspace
— Enter one or more Inbound E-mail addresses for Service Desk in the System Settings workspace and link each one to a service call template

I also tried to find something from SD Online Help, but that one didn't help too much:
To enable a protocol, complete the following steps:
-Select the protocol that you want to enable from the list in the Protocol drop down box.
-Check the Enable this protocol box. Accept or modify the default IP Port setting.
-Click Apply to save the new protocol and keep the dialog box open, or click OK to save the new protocol and close the dialog box.

thanks for help. Points are guaranteed.
9 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Need help configuring inbound email

Curiosity killed the cat... and helped the IT professional set up.

1. See screenie.
2. I can't see how it doesn't make sense. There are inbound e-mail server settings there too, y'know?
3. System Settings -> E-mail Properties -> Inbound E-mail Addresses.
Here you create addresses that SD's built-in inbound e-mail server will use to create Service Calls. These addresses need to be tied to Service Call Templates so default information is entered automatically.

The rest is combined instructions for setting up e-mail, both inbound and outbound. There are illustrations in the installation guide and I've always found reading carefully and finding where I need to be before following instructions much easier than reading and doing at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Honored Contributor.

OK. Looks like I have configured everything what is in manual on fresh installation. I can send email out but can't create service calls from email.
Sending out it's the thing I understand: Service Desk uses smtp to send anything what is in assignment and database or UI rule.
But how this service call generation works?
I have configured Outlook Express on Service Desk Server (this is where I use console as well). Email I send messages from is myname@constoso.com. Receiver is sd@contoso.com (same account which is configured on outlook express). I even tried send email from sd@contoso.com to sd@contoso.com

Both addresses are in inbound email addresses list and access filter.

I have enabled SMTP on port 25 on Server configuration. Only thing I skipped there, I haven't enter any IP addresses in SMTP configuration (neither deny nor permit, see attachement).

- Do I have to send email from same machine where I use SD console?
- How SD reads/catches my emails?
- How can I troubleshoot this activity?
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you look at item 3 in my previous message, there are a few key words: "SD's built-in inbound e-mail server".

This means Service Desk has its own e-mail server to receive e-mail. No need to have Outlook or any other e-mail client on the SD server.

Sending e-mail messages to myname@contoso.com will never work just like that because that address has to exist in a domain first.

If you want to send e-mail to Service Desk, you need to create the addresses within Service Desk (also mentioned in item 3 in my previous post). Then, send e-mail to such address...
@ say for example sd@servicedesk.contoso.com.

Once you have confirmed this does work, you can create and configure a connector between the sd@contoso.com that should exist in your domain/e-mail platform to forward messages to its SD inbound e-mail equivalent sd@servicedesk.contoso.com.

To answer your questions:
- Do I have to send email from same machine where I use SD console?
No.

- How SD reads/catches my emails?
SD's built-in e-mail server is a service that listens for SMTP commands on port 25.

- How can I troubleshoot this activity?
Try the above?

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Honored Contributor.

Thanks The Pike,

Now, that make sense and at least have an idea how it works (except why MIME client needed on SD client side, unless they are mentioned just because users could read or send email for call creation/modification).

How I can troubleshoot this feature further more?
- I have created sd@sd_server.contoso.com email account and send an email from other machine.
- I see email message coming into sd_server, but no call is created.
Email I send has following attributes:
Sender: user@contoso.com
Receiver: sd@sd_server.contoso.com
Subject: "New Test call" (without brackets)
Body: Test message
- email user@contoso.com is assigned to contact in contact list
- sd@sd_server.contoso.com has assigned to Inbound email addresses and has "MS SD Outlook" template assigned.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Enable E-mail Debug.
What does the SD server log say about the inbound e-mail message?

If everything is set up correctly -including outbound e-mail- you should receive a notification explaining why the Service Call was not created.

Often because there are Required fields for Service Call which are not included in the Template associated with the address.

Points are welcome for this and the previous post!

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Honored Contributor.

Thanks The Pike.

No worries about points. I usually set them when I close thread and never forget to submit them :)

I don't receive any replies about errors, even if I set debug. I have some suspicions on email sender, even if WireShark shows SMTP messages comming into SD server.

Can you give me names or path of logfiles I should dig up in? Please, consider me as very fresh to SD. Have no idea about and I'm already proud of myself I learned open console. Two more hours with this tool and I will double my experience with it :)
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

The default path to the server log is:

X:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\log\logserver.txt

Look for and tags in log entries.
Anders Nilsson
Honored Contributor.

I use Service Desk 5.10 so found logs in other location.

Using WireShark, I recognized, that Service Desk server sends reply "User not found" on SMTP session every time I send email to Service Desk user email on Service Desk server.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Now that you've found the SD logs, what do they say? To troubleshoot from a Service Desk standpoint, that's really where you want to look.

The Pike