cancel

Need advice on which SP to install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Andy Cravens_2
Respected Contributor.

Need advice on which SP to install

I just performed a fresh install of Service Desk 4.5 on Solaris and currently have no service packs installed. Just wanted to get a feel for which service pack(s) we should install to get the most stable system.

I'm more concerned about stability right now than the ability to upgrade to Service Desk 5.x.

It seems a while back there were some problems with systems that were taken from a fresh install to the latest service packs without going through each intermediate SP release.

Any advice in this area would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Need advice on which SP to install

Andy,

I think there is always a trade-off between stability and functionality.

We were quite happy with the stability of SP8, but it lacked a lot of functionality that we use in SP18. However, SP18 is definitely less stable, and the fixes for the problems most important to us in SP18 are planned for SP22.

Another important point is that through SP17 there is an upgrade path to 5.1. However, from SP18 on, there will be no upgrade path until ver. 7, which product should be radically different from OVSD 4.5.

-Josh
Andy Cravens_2
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the advice. At this point I may upgrade to SP17 and then wait for SP22 to come out.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Andy,

I would look at the history of bug fixes and functional changes that is published with the latest SP (and organized by SP) to find which is the latest SP that has the functions you really need, and then try to find the most stable SP thereafter.

We never had SP17 installed, and I cannot vouch for its stability.

-Josh
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Josh,

Do you know what problems are planned to be solved on SP22 ? (Why not on SP21 that is the next SP?)
menes fhtagn
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

George,

There is a known problem with sd_dataform in creating service event relations. It is perfectly capable of creating the relation without correctly updating the database, such that the inverse relation is displayed incorrectly. This is supposed to be fixed in SP22. I suppose there is an ITSM number associated with this, but I do not know what it is.

-Josh
Andy Cravens_2
Respected Contributor.

That just solidifies my plans to hold at SP17 and wait until SP22 comes out.
Michael Daly_2
Super Contributor.

Andy

We have Service Desk 4.5 on a Windows 2003 platform and have just upgraded from SP-12 to SP-20. The upgrade went flawlessly and so far it sees stable. We have tested it to bits in our test environment, and so far it is proving to be just as stable in our production system. We read about the problems with SP-18 & 19 and decided to hang on until 20.

With the basic shelving of SD 5.x and the speed at which HP want to bring Service Manager 7 to market we decided to stay with SD 4.5.

On very good feature we wanted in SP-20 was the ability to audit the attachments.

Regards

Michael Daly
Andy Cravens_2
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the feedback Michael