SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Deepika G
Respected Contributor.

Multiples Roles for One Account

Hi,

I am using HPSD 4.5 with SP19

Situation is that one person can have the roles of both-Requestor and Implementer.
For the same change he can be Requestor as well as Implementor.

My problem is - person ABC can be the requestor as well as Implementor for the same or different changes. Let's assume my requestor role has access to write to fields A,B,C and D and my implementer role has access to write in fields X, Y and Z.

Now, when he logs a change as a requestor, because his account also includes the role of implementor, he can along with fields A,B,C and D also modify X,Y and Z.

I thought the solution to this would be - using Folder Entitlement.
So I created two folders - Requestor and Implementor. Based on the status of the Change, I assigned them to the corresponding folder.
Even then, Person ABC which has the two roles is able to modify all the fields in the change irrespective of which folder the change is in.

Hope someone understood my requirement and can help me out.

Thanks
12 REPLIES
Rikard Ekman
Super Contributor.

Re: Multiples Roles for One Account

Yeah think I understod it.

Unfortunatly using folders here will not help you since the roles separatly will have access to echs folder and therefore the user with access to the two roles will have acces to the two folders, quite logical...

Instead try to use:
- Custom fields for specif variables only available for specific categories
- Dynamic forms displaying a different dynamic form depending on an attribute (Requestor/Implementor)

Best Regards

//Rikard
Computers are evil, destroy them, destroy them all!
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

from a process point of view if the user is the requestor and the implementor would you not expect them to fill in all those fields anyway?
Deepika G
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark,

I thought the same, but the requirement is that as a requestor, after all the details have been entered, and the change goes through the approval process and gets assigned back to the same person who needs to implement the change, the fields should not be editable anymore since the change has already been approved.

Can you suggest any workaround for me to achieve this?
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

I've implemented something similar on the Service Call and Work Order forms, by the use of a set of UI rules.

Regardless of Role, the rules will prevent the update of fields dependant upon, in this case, the status of the Change.

So, one UI rule would say if Status = Approved and field X is changed then User Error Message "You are not allowed to edit this field because . . ."

Its not the most elegant solution to protect fields but it does the job.
Deepika G
Respected Contributor.

Hi Peter,

I tried doing the same,
But when I tried creating a UI Rule,
by using "When a value has changed", it doesn't give me the Action "User Notification Message".

Can you please post a sample UI rule which can do the same.

I am using HPSD 4.5 with SP19.

thanks
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

Ahh, there's a little trick to this.

When you first create the rule choose, "Before the item is saved", then create any criteria on the second screen, such as "When field X is anything."

Then once you have specified the criteria, click next to go to the screen where you can specify the action to be taken. Create the User Notification message. Now click BACK twice, to go to the first screen and change the Apply this rule to "When a value has changed", click next and specify the correct critera.

Now when yopu click next the user message wil still be there. You can add further actions if you so desire.

Save the rule and there you go, a user notification message for when a value has changed.

You can make use of this for other things such as information to the user when a specified value is entered into a field?

You could take this further and have a hiddent field, (of the same type), on the form, which holds a copy of the value of field X. Then if the value is changed when its not allowed, the value from the hidden field can be copied back to the field that has been changed.

There are lots of possibilities.

Peter
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Peter, thats a good trick and one I have used in the past with great success. Beware that with the later SP's (20 at least) that this trick no longer works - or it works until you modify the rule and then it fails due to a small change that HP made.

It does create some limitations and foce us to use the "On save" type UI rule with stop notifications instead.
Deepika G
Respected Contributor.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
When I try doing what you mentioned, it gives me an error - I have attached the same.

I am using SP19. I was really hoping what you told me would work, as it would be really useful.

Will really appreciate it if you can tell me how to go around this error.

Thanks
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

that message is due to the change that HP made to the application with the later SP's to stop us doing the workaround. It is a really hany feature that we cannot use on the later SP's.

Build the rule but use the "When a call is saved" option, add the conditions and them select a user notification. Set the type of notification to "Error" and it will force the user to have to complete the fields (based on the conditions) before they can save the call.
Deepika G
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark,

My requirement is that I need to pop-up a User Notification Message - An Error Message when certain fields are modified.

If I use the "Before the item is saved", option, in my conditions , how do i specify certain fields being changed.

I don't want the user to modify certain fields.

Thanks
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

See my reply above Mark's.

Peter
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

that is the issue. With the later SP's HP do not allow the use of a pop up notification to be presented when a field value has changed. This is something I would have liked but apparently that had reason to prevent us from doing this. So you can't do what you want out of the box with the current OVSD version that you have.

Equally you cant script a pop up bax as the UI rule will lok to the users client system to run a script being call from a UI rule.