Multiple SD 4.5 Client installations with different Service Packs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Robert Luessi
Regular Collector

Multiple SD 4.5 Client installations with different Service Packs

Hello
Does someone have clue how to install 2 SD4.5 clients on the same PC? One with SP3 and one with SP5.
We have 2 Appl. Server each connectet to a seperate DB Server and one of them has to be on SP3.
8 REPLIES
Tim Tran_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Multiple SD 4.5 Client installations with different Service Packs

Install them into different Windows folders instead of using the default in the install screen. Create your own shortcut for each.
If the SD app servers are on separate machines, then edit your client account for each client to point to the corresponding server.
If the app servers are on the same machine, you will need to edit each server configuration to use different ITP port to listen to the clients' request (the current default is 30999). You will have to configure the client account in the same way to use the right port to talk to its corresponding app server.
Tim Tran.
Work hard, play hard, be happy wherever you are

I'd rather recommend you copy the %sd_clienthome% directory to some other dir _before_ an upgrade to SP5, and then follow the document with id OV-EN010565 to create different profiles/shortcuts for your two installations. This should be the best solution on a testing environment.

http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=OV-EN010565
Jasper Verweij
Honored Contributor
Solution

hmm, you can run multiple 4.5 clients with different service packs from one installation.

Our own support is running SP4. Last week I have upgraded my own system to SP5 for testing purposes.
I copied the file servicepack.jar in client/lib directory and renamed it to sp4.jar.
Next step was copying sd_client.bat and rename it to sd_client_sp4.bat. Edit the new the BAT file and change the line "jview /cp lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;...." to "jview /cp lib\hotfix.jar;lib\sp4.jar;..."

That's about it!!!

Jasper
Robert Luessi
Regular Collector

Jasper,
does this mean i only have to carry on servicepack.jar ond on the reference of them in sd_clinet.bat?
If i would like to run SP3/client and SP5/client at the same time, can i copy all the files to a different locations( with different servicepack.jar) and create a new shortcut?
Robert
Jasper Verweij
Honored Contributor

Yep, only your start menu item will fail in that case, but if you stick to the bat-files it won't harm you!

Copying and paste to another machine is not possible, due to the fact SD client 4.5 needs some active X component which are installed separately from sd client directory.

Jaspe
Tim Tran_1
Esteemed Contributor

Jasper, thanks for sharing your idea, I never thought it can work that way but now that you have already done it, it certainly does make sense. Couple of curvy issues though,
1. You might need to do the same for the agent as it tends to sit on the same client PC to run external app like banner. In this case do you need 2 agents running? Will they clash as they use the same communication mechanism to talk to the clients? How does the agent know which client is talking to it?
2. What about the SD event which also resides on the same client PC and was not written in Java hence no Servicepack jar? How does it know which client to pass the event to?
So I'd conclude that running two different service pack clients is only good for testing or when you only need to run one at a time.
Work hard, play hard, be happy wherever you are
Jasper Verweij
Honored Contributor

Tim,

as far as I can remember sd_event is downwards and upwards compatible...

With the agent I'm not sure...

Jasper
Anju
Regular Collector

Hi
Thanks for the info but Unable to get to this link

http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=OV-EN010565

Provided by Sergey. If anyone is able to access this link can you please email me the information provided in it.

Thanks
Anju
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event