Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast listener thread failed to start

Highlighted
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

Multicast listener thread failed to start

Hi everyone,

I got this service desk evaluation copy that i am trying to install on my laptop. All installation went fine. no errors. I did the attach database step with no problem at all. When I get to the start application server step things start to mess up :)

here is the output of the startserver.bat command:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\evaluation\bin>starts
erver.bat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hp OpenView service desk 4.5
Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Hewlett-Packard Company. All Rights Reserved.
booting...............

and then it exits :)

so checking the logfile I get the below info:

Sat, 05/11/2005 15:39:44 Multicast listener thread failed to start: IOException: Cannot assign requested address: set socket option failed
Sat, 05/11/2005 15:39:45 Connection to service desk repository was not added to the pool because of Connection refused: connect
Sat, 05/11/2005 15:39:45 Failed to open connection to service desk repository.
Connection refused: connect
Sat, 05/11/2005 15:39:45 End session.

I am using win xp with sp2 installed. MSDE and data access 2.7 with JRE 1.3.1 (the version that comes on the CD)

Any help or hint will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
If you can't solve it, post it :)
5 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Multicast listener thread failed to start

I believe, this will be a problem related to the database. Please chck whether the database is running. Also, check whether you have created required logons/accounts on your DB. Give the 'DB Owner' preveleges for the OVSD DB User on the restored database.
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

Thanks a lot.

The database (MSDE) is running. In the attach database step, the account is created and assigned to DBowner automaticly and this step has passed without errors.

But when i read this below:

Sat, 05/11/2005 15:39:44 Multicast listener thread failed to start: IOException: Cannot assign requested address: set socket option failed

I thought it could be some sort of network problem maybe?????

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Ramaprasad N
Esteemed Contributor

Please check your Server settings once (Start --> Programs --> hp openview service desk --> application server --> server settings editor). Verify whether you are able to connect to the database through the default Application accounts. If the connection from here is successful, please let me know.
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

Ok I did the following. I uninstalled and reinstalled.

The above (probablyly) network problem just disappeared. But i am still getting as above:

Sun, 06/11/2005 12:04:05 Connection to service desk repository was not added to the pool because of Connection refused: connect
Sun, 06/11/2005 12:04:05 Failed to open connection to service desk repository.
Connection refused: connect
Sun, 06/11/2005 12:04:05 End session.

So it seems as you previously said the remaining problem is a DB connection problem.

The connection to the db from the server settings editor failed. I attached some screenshots containing all the info of the server settings editor.

so why the DB connection is failing?
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

I think I found the something:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=683772

It seems this is related to the XP sp2 and I need to upgrade the msde for the eval version to work.

Where can I find the upgrade for msde? and how do i install it and attach to the new MSDE?

Thanks in advance.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event