Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Moving from SD4.5 SP20 to SD5.1

Highlighted
Dusko Milosevic
Super Contributor.

Moving from SD4.5 SP20 to SD5.1

As it was described before, it is not possible to do Upgrade from SD4.5 with SP above 16, but it has to be a waz to do a migration from SD4.5 to a SD5.1, and I intend to do it. Can someone suggest roadmap for such operation? I think that there is more then few customers who were never noticed on that tiny winy migration detail that SD4.5 can not be upgraded with all the servicepacks above SP16, and wish to go from 4.5 to 5.1.

Thanx,

D.
10 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Moving from SD4.5 SP20 to SD5.1

Hi there,

Basically to do this you have to take the data and the configuration of your 4.5 system across. The data is the easier part but the configuration is much more work. you will need to re-do all the settings you had in place and then test thoroughly.

To see what you have in 4.5, the print preview and publish facility will give you some of what you need. I attach some SQL (for SQL server - you may need to modify it for Oracle) which will tell you what custom fields have been activated.

Hope something here helps

Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ruth is right. You can use HP's migration tool (if you can get it from them or crack the .zip protection on the archive) to migrate the data. You will have to migrate the rest manually. That includes rules, views, forms, ... See the docs in migration guide.

Let me add: it's not worth doing. SD 5.x is dead, large portion of nice 4.5 functionality will never make it there. If you still do it, you will face the same migration problems when ServiceCenter comes out.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Dusko,

DON'T DO IT!! 5.x is a nightmare. Sorry... let me be clear. Its a fucking nightmare from which you will never wake.

We've lost immeasurable productivity and credibility since moving to this tool. The tool's features are over engineered and unreliable. The stability is non-existant, performance is pitifull, and support is abysmal.

There's really not enough bad things you can say about this version.
Dean Morrell
Honored Contributor.

-=R=- -- Yes, but... don't pull punches or be euphamistic; how do you *really* feel about it? =)

-d
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Dean,

I could go on and on about our 5.x experience, trust me. I've been around the block with every other tool out there: Remedy, Magic, Heat... and I have to say I've never seen a product as poorly rolled out, managed, supported, or integrated as 5.x. Are there ANY satisfied 5.x customers out there? I'd love to know.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Gee -=R=-, it took a bit of reading between the lines in your responses...but I'm starting to get a vague feeling that you don't like V5. It's cruel speaking ill of the dead like that. There must be someone with a few good words to say over the corpse. .....Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
David R Baldwin
Respected Contributor.

I wish I could say something nice about SD5.1, but I can't. The service packs break as many things as they fix e.g. I can't export a csv file since SP2.1 which I could before; how hard can it be!

The support is terrible. Three weeks to get a useful reply for my latest call and we still aren't there. Usually I just get "this is fixed in SP3 or SP4".

Still haven't managed to get services to work which is meant to be the big thing in 5.1.

I have found loads of bugs. Most recent was the configuration exchange only exports some things, not everything. Haven't even bothered to report it to HP as it is a waste of time.

If you can avoid it, I would.
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

The good things to be said were only these you only read about and haven't actually tried them. My colleagues implementing the thing swor e that if one more project with 5.1 comes, he quits.

We found hell lots of bugs as well. Also some things that may not be considered bugs but they're plainly stupid. For example when you activate AD (external) authentication you cannot use WEB-API. It says the accounts are blocked. The colleague had an experience where SD started to mix Categories, Statuses and other things together. It's slow, unstable, unpredictable, ...

Stay away from it.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Bang on about the patches / hotfixes breaking stuff. We applied a licensing hotfix which made our Object Server Agent service go heywire. We went 3 weeks before we realized Work Orders weren't getting created in sequence.

That cost our Security and ID management teams 100's of hours of lost work and we took an enormous credibility hit with our customers. Months later and we're still cleaning up that mess.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

And on the topic of slowness... my users have griped since day 1 how slow the system is, yet HP keeps telling us (in a most unprofessional fashion) that the problem is perception, not actual performance.

They're more than happy to point the finger at us, and tell us our expectations are out of line, but they're absolutely unwilling to provide any performance standards we can base our expectations on.

/spit.