Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Monitoring the functionality of Service Desk Application Server

Highlighted
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Monitoring the functionality of Service Desk Application Server

Hi,

I need to know, if a SD application server goes down, then what are the possible ways in which we can check this?
1) Are there any specific log files at any specific locations which can give this info?
2) Are there any specific messages for which we have to look for in these log files to monitor the functionality of the SD application server?
3) Are there any specific processes whose state we need to monitor, to know the status of the SD application server?

Any info would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anu
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Monitoring the functionality of Service Desk Application Server

Hi,

to start with the main log file is located here and is called logserver.txt
x:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\log
Application and DB errors are written

If you check the logs periodically you will be able to see errors and decide if you need to monitor for them. 2 of the more common errors I have found at the time of a crash are

"out of memory error" & "lost connection to database repository" (or something very similar)

If would be interesting to see what messages anyone else may be monitoring for in the log files.
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Mark for your response.

Can you also let me know whether there any specific processes which we need to monitor, to know the status of the functionality of SD application server?

Also, are there any other messages (except the ones which Mark mentioned)which can also indicate that the SD application server is down?

Any info will b helpful.

Regards,
Anu
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

We monitor the Service Name (ours is named hp OpenView service desk 4.5).

The process name is sd_serverservic (yes, without the "e" is the way I see it on our windows system).

I think that correlating log messages to whether the service is available or not would be difficult. Some error messages, such as "out of memory" may appear as text in service calls and if your log file is configured to record email events, you may see "out of memory" as part of an email message.

Tim
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

There is no specific messages in the logserver that tells you the server is down. The only time you can tell is when you can no longer work on it or connect to it.
You can monitor the log for error messages like OutOfMemory which will indicate that it will crash soon.
Sd 4.5 has sd_servermanager.bat that is a gui that show the health of all sd servers. There is also the gui version of the sd server which shows you it's status, connections, performance, and db.
Even when your sd server windows service is running, you can still have problem with it.
I guess you can write a script to check if you can telnet to sd server on port 30999 and if you can't, there is issue with the sd server.
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Tim and Jas for the information.

As you mentioned Jas, when I ran the sd_servermanager.bat a window opened up which has a column which says healthy and it has a tick mark for my SD server.

Also you mentioned that there is a gui version of the sd server which shows information like status, connections, performance, and db. What is this gui version of SD server you are talking about?

Tim, currently when i checked in the task manager, there is no "sd_serverservic" process running. But there is a exe called "sd_serverservice" at the location "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-packcard\OpenView\Service desk 4.5\server\bin" and if I run this exe, I can see that a process with the name "sd_serverservic" is shown up in the task manager. But then this exe runs only for some time and suddenly it disappears. As soon as this happens, the entry for the "sd_serverservic" process disappears from the task manager. Why does this exe stop running suddenly? And I was assuming that when I start the sd server that time this process should also start running and should be visible in task manager. But this is not happening, any issue?

Any info will be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anu
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

To turn on the gui version of the sd server, goto "open the server settings editor" and put a tick on "show status".

You can start a sd server 2 ways,
1) via windows service so that it will automatically start sd server on bootup.
2) via manual command sd_startserver.bat available via shortcut.