Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Monitoring mail service

Highlighted
Anny_2
Contributor.

Monitoring mail service

Hello. We use ServiceDesk SP11. Some time ago we had problems with e-mail notifications so we decided to monitor if the mail service of SD is working properly. To do this I want to connect to SD's smtp server and send test mail. But I get SMTP error 550 (No such user here). So my first question is: is it possible to connect to SD's SMTP server an send test mail? And the second one: is there any other ideas to monitor SD's mail server?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Monitoring mail service

Service Desk's built-in SMTP server is used for inbound e-mail. For outbound e-mail, Service Desk executes the SMTP commands on the mail server you specified under E-mail Settings in the Administrator Console.

That being said, if you experience problems receiving e-mail alerts, the problem could lie on your SMTP platform.

If your intent is to monitor outbound e-mail, I suggest first enabling E-mail Debug in the Administrator Console. With this option on, more information will be written to the server log file.

Hope this helps.
Points and pints are welcome.

The Pike
Anny_2
Contributor.

Thanks, The Pike, it was my mistake to use SD's SMTP server for sending mail. Then I change my question: how could I force ServiceDesk to send a test message?
I'm sure that the problems were with SD server not with mail server. I have debug option turned on but it can't help me to automatically monitor SD's ability to send mail.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

It would be nice to see some points assigned to this post and the previous one.

The point-reward mechanism is the way to give back to other forum members for the time and effort spent to help resolve *your* issue. More on the ITRC forums point-reward mechanism here:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Now, there is no need to "force" the application server to send e-mail. The Service Desk client features a "Send test mail" option under E-mail settings. Try it from the client installed on the application server box.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Anny_2
Contributor.

Thanks for spending time to *not* resolve my issue, The Pike. And I still hope to find a way to *automatically* (not "press a button somewhere") monitor SD's mail service. Closing thread.
Anny_2
Contributor.

Solution is not found.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Wow. Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. And then 1 point? Tough crowd, I say.

The attitude is uncalled for if you are seeking assistance from members in the SD community. We're all here to ask and answer and help each other out...

Anyhoo, there is a myriad of applications that do automatic monitoring of log files, like Operations Manager for Windows. Service Desk simply isn't a monitoring application.

Once more, points for the guidance are welcome!

The Pike