SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Monitoring Service Calls / Problems question

Hi,

I'm running SD 4.5 SP17.

There's something which I've never quite got my head around, (well several things actually but...)

If a SC or a Problem record has a deadline, what is the best way to check on that Deadline?

I mean, lets say a record has a Deadline of 09:00 on Friday. How would I check if the Deadline is getting close, say 2 hours away?

And how would I check if the Deadline has past, i.e. breached the SLA?

I know you can apply conditional formatting in a view to change the colour of a particular record, I'd like to be able to use this to change the colours of these kinds of records.

I know there are the Actual Start, Actual Duration and Actual Finish fields. But if I use these, will the system automatically update the Duration field?

Because if I use a rule to update the field then I have to have something to trigger the rule. The whole idea is to have something which will auto update and therefore change the colour of the records without operator intervention.

Sorry for such a long winded question....
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Monitoring Service Calls / Problems question

Hello,

You could create a scheduled task that should be evaluated 2 hours before deadline, assuming that deadline is at least > 2 hrs after registration created.

Furthermore there are the calculated fields "To Deadline" or "Remain Duration" that can be used to color code your views, though they tend to slow down the java client.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

George,

Are you saying that the "To Deadline" and "Remain Duration" fields are automatically updated by the system on a regular basis?

Because, as I said, needing a rule to get a 'time remaining' calulation defeats the object.

What I want is an automatic warning feature.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Remain Duration and To Deadline are calculated as soon as you open the ticket or refresh a view that includes these fields.

You can do even more. Create a custom duration field and then a db rule that copies "Remain duration" or "To Deadline" to this field when a ticket is modified (without any condition). Then through another DB rule you can check if this custom field is below a threshold.

Automating this procedure (the above requires ticket modification) is another story. Have a look at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1142291 to get some ideas though SP19 is required for that kind of solution.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

George,

Thanks for that, the simplest solution would be to create a view with "To Dedline" in it, base the formatting on that field then when the view is refreshed the colours will change as required.

I had a look at the other post.....you really had to work for those points!, well done.

I'm only on SP17 so can't use that solution at the moment.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

Just some other points for you to think about:

1. Adding "To Deadline" to a view can affect performace as it is calculated field.

2. If it does, consider having a custom code field called "Escalation Level" and give a values and icons; set up DB rules that do roughly:
When SC is created or modified,
Condition: when Deadline(*) is not empty
AND Status is not closed scheduled before Deadline
Action: set Escalation Level

Then if you put the Escalation Level code on the view and format it to show the icon, that can be a very effetive way of highlighting SLA approaches and breaches.

We used this method at a site where To Deadline did cause performance issues and by using a diffenet shape and colour icon for each level, we found it worked pretty well.

hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Ruth, so, you would have possibly two scheduled rules, created at the time the Deadline was calculated.

One scheduled say 4Hrs before the Deadline to set the Escalation Level to one value.

Another scheduled say 1Hr before the Deadline is due to set the Escalation Level to another value.

Then a view which shows the Escalation Level icon.

Sounds ok.

What happens to the scheduled rules which are no longer required, because the call has been solved before they are due. Do they just disappear?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Peter,

Scheduled tasks are merely a provision to generate time based condition checking. Once the time passes they are deleted from the DB.

However, make sure that scheduled task will occur ALWAYS to future.

You wrote that you have a scheduled task to be validated 4 hrs before deadline. Make sure that Deadline is *ALWAYS* > 4 hours. For example with default settings when priority is top the deadline is one hour!
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event