Monitoring Logegd on users

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter J Gray
Regular Collector

Monitoring Logegd on users

Hi,

I'd like to know is there a way to generate a report from "Logged on Users" in the Admin Console to see which user accounts are logged in over a period of time.

Thanks,

Peter
7 REPLIES
Eric Ung
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: Monitoring Logegd on users

Peter, In Admin Console, goto Security, Enhanced Auditing then Audit Log. Hope this helps.
Peter J Gray
Regular Collector

Thanks Erik, However I forgot to mention I am using OV 4.5 SP12. Enhanced Sercurity does not appear to be available for this version.

Any other alternatives?
Michael Lutfi
Frequent Visitor

quick guess here have you checked that the account you are using has the Audit Role?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

as Michael says have a look at the account and ensure that it is assigned rights to the auditing role. Auditing should be available for your SP. Don't use the sys admin account for auditing.

In the admin console you do some basic stuff which may help. You should be able to add a field to the view to show the date (and time) of the client connection. You can either sort by this or export this to excel and sort there to see the oldest date and time.

The only thing is if the client time out session is exceeded and the user later reconnects I don't thing this is reflected in the date and time for that session in the admin console. Maybe the auditing shows more detail for you.

Hope this helps.
Peter J Gray
Regular Collector

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this, have access to Enhanced Auditing now. Is there a high overhead on the system using the auding function?

Peter
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

this isn't the most technical answer but it depends on what you audit, for how long and how much you get back in results.

e.g.
If you enable auditing for user logons it should audit one action per user per logon - overhead low

If you enable auditing for a role - ovrhead high as every action done by that role is audited.

However the auditing details can be archived if they become too big.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1039062
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Beware!

Be sure to archive audit log regularly or you'r e gonna have trouble when there are too many.

I noticed that if the archive view has more tha n 40.000 entries the archive process doesn't work.

Yes, I found it the hard way and I have to archive 15 days period each time :(
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event