Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Modify CI’s against Change Request

Highlighted
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Modify CI’s against Change Request

Hi folks,

here is another issue that i am facing. is there a solution for this. would be glad to hear some good news apart from saying that this is a design issue :)

Modify CI’s against Change Request: Currently none of the end users other than Config Manager/Owner is allowed to modify the Change. Only Config Manager/Owner has Write access on the CI’s. This is accomplished to avoid other users from modifying the CI’s directly on the CMDB. If the CI attribute/s is/are to be modified, change request with subsequent work order is lodged and on approval, the Change Manager / Change Implementer is requested to use the option “Update CMDB” available on the Work Order in order to have the necessary changes on the CI. Since Change Manager / Implementer don’t have write access on the CI’s, the new attribute values will not be changed. Customer requirement is to allow Change Manager / Implementer modify the CI’s through Work Order though they do not have Write access to CI’s or is there any best solution that can be provided to overcome this situation?

thanks in advance

raman
5 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Modify CI’s against Change Request

A long time ago, when 4.5 came out, you could give someone a role which allowed WO capture of CI changes while direct CI update was banned. And then someone reported this as a bug and, despite my protestations that it was a good facility, HP went on and withdrew it! But I seem to think I saw somewhere that it was coming back - take a look at the last few SP (20-22)
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Raman,

You can work round this by setting up a status on a CI and letting the staff you want to use WO to modify CIs have a role which only allows modify in status range of this status.

Then block the status. Then the staff will be able to set planned values on a WO but not update the CI directly.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

ITSM008603 in SP 20 resolves that issue by allowing CI fields to be updated via Work Order even if user does not have rights to update CI fields. Set via Admin Console, General Settings, Application page "Allow update CI from Workorder without consider permission to CI".
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

hi Terry,

Thants really a wonderful news. I shall check for the option. Thanks for providing the info.

raman
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

solved in SD 4.5 SP20