Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Migration of attachment folder structure

Highlighted
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

Migration of attachment folder structure

I am testing the upgrade of our Service Desk system from SP11 to SP17, which includes the lovely migration of the attachment folder structure. I have FTP services installed and running in my test environment and have verified that I have Perl 5.8 installed. I am going for option 2: online migration for now, since I don't want to mess with my live environment. The instructions say to type in perl mig_attachments.pl -c olderfolder newfolder > migoutputfile.log 2 > & 1 but I keep getting the error "& is not expected at this time".

I'm new to Perl and a little rusty on command line executables, so I'm not sure what this means. Can anyone help me out with getting this going? I'm supposed to be finished with testing by the end of July! :) Also, we're running Windows 2003 for this environment.

Thanks,
Colleen
5 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Migration of attachment folder structure

Hi
This action obligatory or you lost all attachment, This script transfer from old folder to new foldet attachment with new solder structure. Try that : mig_attachments.pl -c olderfolder newfolder > migoutputfile.log

Vassili
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

I managed to get the following script to run in test: perl mig_attachments.pl -c \\\Service Desk \\\Service Desk > migoutputfile.log

But for the live migration, I'm not actually changing folders. Or, at least I'd prefer not to.

So would it look like this?

perl mig_attachments.pl \\\Service Desk \\\Service Desk > migoutputfile.log

Just put in the same location for the old folder and the new folder? Also, I plan to use the faster version, so I will eliminate the "-c" option.

Let me know if you think this will work!
-Colleen
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

I was hoping to start this in about 4 hours. Does anyone have any advice for me?

All the instructions seem to indicate that I need to create a new folder for this and modify the system panel, ftp set up, etc. Can anyone verify that for me? I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it. I know there's more people out there who have used this script, so did everyone change their directory location for the attachments?

Thanks,
Colleen
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Colleen,

My advice: Create a copy of the existing structure, run the migration script and test it on the test server. If it works, upgrade the production server.

That's what I did.
menes fhtagn
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

Managed to run the script in the live upgrade with only a few problems, but rerunning the script with the copy option fixed that.