Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Migrating Service Desk 4.5 to a new server

Highlighted
John Paul Templ
New Member.

Migrating Service Desk 4.5 to a new server

hi there

not sure if this is the correct forum or not, if not could you let me know where to post this thanks.

We are looking at moving the HP Openview software and DB from its current location to a new server. How easy is this to do? in regards to moving the license files and the DB?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Migrating Service Desk 4.5 to a new server

Hello John Paul,

If you move the database you don't have to worry about licenses. As for the "how easy" it depends. Sometimes is just as easy as restoring the db to its new location, installing the app server and have it pointed to the new db location, some other times it requires a careful planning, especially if you have tools developed around service desk.
menes fhtagn
John Paul Templ
New Member.

thanks for your reply. I know the Helpdesk staff have created a fair amount of business logic.

I was planning on creating the new server and Db and copying over the current DB. And then test.

I have downloaded the admin guide but there doesn't seem to be a section on migrating to a new server in there :-(
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello John Paul,

As I wrote migration can be as easy as restoring the DB to the new location, install the application server and have it point to the new db location and make sure that the db accounts on the application server correspond to a db account on the db server.

You have to make sure that the correct Service Desk SP is applied after installing the application server.

Having done the above, the server will be able to start. But functioning correctly greatly depends on other things as custom scripts you may have, dns etc...
menes fhtagn
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

In addition to George's post, in reference to HP OpenView there is Configuration, Customisation and integration.

Configuration lives in the Database - so the Business Rules etc you refer to will migrate OK.

Customisation is when Java stuff is modified or SQL triggers etc created. Many installations don't have these but you should try asking/looking for these.

Integration might be in the form of scheduled tasks initiating Data Exchange. This might be scheduled on the App server but could be elsewhere.

Finally it is easy to do a dry run and repeat it but you need to be a bit careful with the dry run that you disable the outgoing emails - or clients will get emails from the Production system and the Live system. So do as per the first post and immediately break the outgoing email settings (System Console, Email - first Tab).

Also if you have more than one app server joined you have to ensure that the test server doesn't try to join the live group - I am hazy on this so post for help.

It is then easy to connect one client to the test and see if all is working OK.

Cheers