The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Data from MS SQL to Oracle

Highlighted
Benjamin Wagner
Occasional Advisor

Migrate Data from MS SQL to Oracle

Hi, we use HP Servicedesk 4.5 on a W2K3 / MS SQL2000 Server. Now I want to transfer the database to a new installed server running W2K3 and Oracle10. How can I transfer the database to the new server? It is not possible to export the database from MS SQL and imoprt in Oracle, because the file is not binary-compatible, so I think there must be anything like a migraton wizard? Can anyone help me solving the problem?
5 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrate Data from MS SQL to Oracle

Hi there,

If you run the sd_dbconfwizard with the parameter â internal option there is an Maintain option which then offers backup and restore.

When this was first introduced (2003) we did use it to move between DB platforms but a more technical colleague did say there were the following issues at that time:

1.It doesnâ t copy the LICENCE details,

2.Make sure the service is down when you do the backup, as it copies REP_SERVERS entries and so can leave you unable to start the new service on another box.

3.The RESTORE can corrupt indexes on at least REP_SESSIONS and REP_SERVERS. For REP_SERVERS, DROP INDEX SVI_IPADDRESS_IX. For REP_SESSIONS, DROP INDEX SES_SERVER_IPADDRESS_IX

It may be worth trying to use this but as you can see it is 5 years since we last tried so it may not work at all!!

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Benjamin Wagner
Occasional Advisor

This seems to be exactly what i´m looking for, but when I restore the database, i get more than 15.000 errors, and the tool hangs.
Is there any other way? Or a newer tool? Or a suggested strategy from HP?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

Hmmmmmm! It looks as though HP have not kept the tool up to date with SPs.

I can only suggest that you search the web to see if there are any 3rd party tools that might help with this.

Regards, Ruth

(PS don't forget pints if an answer helps at all)
http://www.teamultra.net
Ben Snell

Hi

From experience the wizard breaks the database - even if moving from one identical server / database to another - it loses someof the indexes with some rather unwanted behaviour e.g. may not shutdown cleanly.

I would suggest that you look to generic migration tools - I'm sure Oracle will have some!

Last resort is to rebuild your system using DE and ACES manually filling in the gaps.

Regards
Ben
J vincent_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Data loader can help u,it can migrate almost any data, it helps me to convert MSSQL to Oracle, MS access to MSSQL, mysql, csv loader, foxpro and MSSQL to MS access, MYSQl, CSV, foxpro etc. i found it on google search.

Download Free : http://www.dbload.com
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event