Memory on app server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
PatrikT
Respected Contributor.

Memory on app server

Hi ,
I use SD4.5 SP26 and have three application servers. 2 are running very smooth, the third often has connections timed out and gives a very bad respons in spite of fact that all three servers are the same. My third server has even more internal memory then the others.
How can I increase perfomance for those who connect to this server. I have read the manuals about increasing the memory but see no improvement.

Kind regards.
Patrik
6 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Memory on app server

Hi Patrik

Have you edited the installservice.bat to allocate more memory to the Service Desk application?

How many Service Desk services do you have installed on the 3rd server?
You could try installing a 2nd instance of Service Desk on the 3rd server to increase the performance.

Jay
PatrikT
Respected Contributor.

Hi Jay,

yes i did change the installservice.bat to the following ( do not know if this is ok):
-XX:MaxNewSize=128M -XX:NewSize=128M -Xms400M -Xmx2000M

Is it logical to install an extra instance ? you mean the application twice ? will this not add extra constraints on the performances?

I have 2 GB Ram on this w2k3-server

thanks for feedback
Patrik
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi Patrik

our installservice.bat reads like this:-

-XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M

We have 2 app servers, but each app server is running 2 instances of the Service Desk service (on ports 30998 and 30999).
Our w2k server has 4gb RAM, 1GB for the O/S, 1GB for each of the service desk instances and a spare 1GB.

looking at your .bat you are allocating all your RAM to Service Desk, this maybe causing the performance problems as the server has no other RAM available for processing.

Jay
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Patrik

Multiple Server Instances is documented under Chapter 7 of the Admin Guide p175.

Jay
PatrikT
Respected Contributor.

Hi jay,
you read my mind ...

thanks
Patrik
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Patrik